Tuesday, 10 June 2025

Winter has arrived.

It was a bitterly cold and wet long weekend (happy birthday King). 

I finished sewing together the rug I have been crocheting. This is a queen sized bed so you get an idea of the size. I don't know where it will end up but it's done and I love the 3D effect.





It rained and rained and rained and I swear the wind came straight off the Antarctic. Just a tad different from the glorious blue skies when I was out and about on Thursday.



I started another couple of crochet projects cos I have the crochet bug at the moment. I am still knitting a vest in front of the telly in the evenings, one of the crochet projects is mindless so I keep that for the craft group and then there is this which is easy but does require counting.


 
On a very personal note (but we're all friends here, right?) I went to the doctor and had a long chat with her about my life long battle with my weight. I currently classify as obese and have high choleresterol and high blood pressure as well having undergone two joint replacements. My mother had an eating disorder which meant I never really learned what a proper relationship with food looked like. Food was punishment, reward, bribery - never just food. We were made to eat everything that was dished up on our plates whilst my mother (who was always very thin) would complain about being overweight and eat like a sparrow. I realised once I was an adult that she would be diagnosed today with anorexia nervosa and over-feeding others is classic behaviour of this condition. After a lifetime of being on or off a diet it is no wonder that I have ended up in this pickle.

After talking at length about things my doctor said that I, too, have an eating disorder and an unhealthy relationship with food and my body and my sense of self. After great discussion of pros and cons she prescribed this ...


One of my daughters-in-law has had great success using this and a much loved blogmate has started using it as well. In fact it was her bravery in sharing that gave me the courage to seek help.

I am well aware this is not a silver bullet. It will not wipe out nearly 70 years of bad programming but it just might stop the food noise (yes, that is a thing) and give me some mental space to change my attitude to a few things and learn some new strategies to deal with life the universe and everything. I am sure everyone has an opinion on this sort of thing but please, unless it is positive, keep it to yourself. I have a hard enough battle in front of me as it is.


And as a reminder of the magnificent dignity that is the German Shepherd I give you this ...




13 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new regime and well done for tackling it head on.
    I love the photograph. Dogs are so daft, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that vegetables are more appealing and it is easier to avoid sweets. Two good things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rug is quite amazing. It does my head in.
    Don't put yourself as 70 yet. It makes me feel old.
    Is that like Ozempic? My niece had success with that. Good luck with it. Over the past year I've put on two kilos and I am not happy about that, and I am not sure why. I think I am not walking as much, because it makes my arthritic pain worse, at least while I am walking, or rather trudging. What a great dog photo. I remember our dogs doing things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wishing you well on your weight loss and regrouping about food. Good for you for facing and tackling a hugely emotional issue.

    That's a standout coverlet. I didn't know you crocheted. I hear you on simple work for the group where you chat, reserving the trickier work for home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you well with the new outlook on food, emotional issues and the meds.
    The crocheted rug is spectacular.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your experience is like mine on the Zepbound, you are going to be amazed at how your feelings about food and eating change. For me it was almost instantly. I have been on the medication for almost a month now and will be going up in dosage with my next injection. I am glad of that because the food noise is starting to make itself known again and I DO NOT WANT THAT! So far, I'm still craving salads and am fairly easily satisfied with my meals but I think it is time to step up a level.
    You are brave to ask for help and you are brave to come forth here. What has surprised me since I began discussing the subject is how many people reach out to say that they, too, are taking these drugs and have seen amazing changes in their bodies and in their lives.
    Now. As to that 3-D coverlet- OH MY GOD! It's so trippy and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting help
    Weight and food issues are just like any other medical problems.
    You need the correct “medication “ to help you to heal.
    No it’s not a silver bullet. But it’s the first step to your road of recovery
    I wish you lots of luck
    The crochet blanket is fantastic. I too love the 3D effect.
    I’ve lost my crochet mojo at the moment.
    It’s all knitting and sewing right now
    Perfect for winter crafting to keep you nice and warm
    Our poor fire has not gone out for weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ozempic and Wegovy are exactly the same drug...Ozempic only goes up to 1mg and Wegovy goes up to 2.4 mg.....I have been on Ozempic for early stage diabetes for year and take 1mg..I am no longer in the diabetic range which is what it is for of course, but I have not lost a single kilo...lol...feel annoyed by that...but not everyone loses weight on these medications....I do believe that Mounjaro does work better for weight loss..I don't have any adverse side effects so while I would like weight loss, I am not that keen to take a higher dose if I do get unwanted side effects...10 years ago I lost weight prior to an operation and really stuck to the "diet" it was 1250-1400 calories a day and I lost 15 kilos in 4 months...without any drugs as they were not available at that time.. I have put the 15 kilos back on over the past 10 years...sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your doctor has agreed to help you. I'm lucky I don't have "food noise" but got to be obese anyway, mostly by eating as if I were still working long factory hours when all I did was putter around the house and sit for hours by the laptop. Still do that, but one day just gave up a few things and ate less and for me, that worked. I'm still overweight but not as much as I was and I can see the rest of it disappearing by Christmas.
    I never did learn to crochet and now have arthritis is several finger joints so I'm not even going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are much more clever at crochet than me, I have trouble following patterns but can make lovely blankets that don't require too much thinking :) I think it's great that you've gone to your doctor for help. I don't have that 'food noise' or much desire for food but still don't lose weight. It seems I don't need much food at all to gain weight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're taking steps to address your weight and your relationship with food and I hope it goes well! I know people who have used Wegovy or similar medications (like our common blog pal) and everyone says they are very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been obese almost 100kilos but used exercise and diet to lose weight. Tuna diet and rice cakes for a while, can’t even look at tuna now.
    Went back up to 85 kilos , but after having Covid, flu and pneumonia last year now am 77 kilos . Can’t even look at wine now and just cannot stand the thought or smell of so many foods.I would like to lose another 7 kilos but will only do it with regular exercise and food.
    Friend over the road has used one of these drugs because of diabetes and lost a great deal
    Hope the drug works for you.

    ReplyDelete