Friday, 5 June 2026

A day that didn't seem that much but was



Now it appears that Murphy might be the one leaking although I think it might be more him licking his paws that leaves the damp spot. As anyone who has ever spilt anything will know it doesn't take much for a small amount of liquid to appear enough to fill a small pond so I really don't know what we are dealing with.

Today I helped cater for a funeral with the Lionesses. These women are always good fun and the funeral itself was at a local church so we weren't involved with the sad bits although the deceased had a very long, full life so hopefully there weren't too many sad bits. The mourners came back to the hall for the wake afterwards. We were surprised how many actually braved the cold to come back from the cemetery. We had two varieties of soup, plenty of sandwiches (although I'm not sure about the chicken, cheese and mustard combination someone came up with - the children shouldn't be allowed loose in the kitchen!!), hot savouries and cold sweet things with tea and coffee. It's always hard to know exact numbers for these sort of events and we had a bit left over but better than than running out. 

I find these events quite exhausting. I think it's being "on" for several hours and interacting and doing stuff. I enjoy them but come home knackered and my back always complains. It will be interesting to see if my xrays show anything when I finally see the doctor at the end of the month. 

Himself has made the beds for One and his lot, who arrive tomorrow. The weather forecast is looking good after torrential rain overnight so hopefully we can do lots of lovely things. Heads up ... I will not be posting here over the weekend!

Now to unwind for the evening.

With these two on guard we are well protected.


 I have no doubt that they would bark if they could. I am bloody thrilled that they can't.

6 comments:

  1. A good meal after a funeral is a beautiful, life-affirming thing.
    Funny, isn't it, how dogs are so good at vocally telling us about possible intruders while cats simply slink away. I like to think my cat would attack anyone who had evil on their mind though.
    Sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our cat is acting more dog like as she gets older. When I through meat outside for the dogs, the cat gets in there too. Very strange.
    Have a wonderful visit with your son and the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you oh how I wish they could talk to us. It’s hard watching them suffer and not knowing exactly how to help.
    Oh course you were exhausted. Catering is a full on job.
    Enjoy your time with the family, comeback when you can

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't helped with funeral dinners in a while. I always enjoy listening in on the reminisces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not surprised you're tired after that day. That's a lot of work and people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken and cheese is a dubious combination!

    ReplyDelete