This view is not from a bicycle. It's from a walking track at Lakes' Entrance. Upon which I ran for a bit.
This afternoon I went for a bike ride. It was a glorious day and, therefore, many Melbournians and their families chose to take advantage of such a lovely Spring afternoon.
We are very fortunate in Melbourne to have many paths designated for walking and/or cycling. They are well marked both from a direction point of view and also with reminders of etiquette and acceptable behaviours.
Unfortunately, many people are either illiterate or ignorant. Or maybe both. But I tend to think the latter.
When a sign says "dogs must be kept on a leash" this means you. Just because you have a canine companion that is not much bigger than a large rat doesn't mean that it is any less annoying when it gets in the way of a bike. Or that its shit is any less offensive than any other dog's. That's why there are signs that say "please clean up after your dog". Which should be obvious but some people seem to need reminding.
When you are walking on a shared bike/pedestrian path and a cyclist rings her bell, that is an indication that said cyclist is approaching and would like you and yours to move to one side. It doesn't mean that you all stop walking, straddled out across both lanes, and turn to look in amazement that a bike might be approaching. Nor does it mean that your cute youngster keep riding along in the wrong lane ringing his bell in reply (although I did smile at that one!).
It seems to take longer to ride out than it does to ride back.
Some people shouldn't wear lycra.
And a certain man shouldn't walk along the boardwalk by the river in a pair of grungy undies and not much else. I know it was warm but please, have some sensitivities.
It was, though, a divine ride and I find that each time I go out my fitness is just that much more. I can ride up hills in higher gears (I think that's right) and today managed to ride up the huge overpass at the end of the ride that took me back to my car. Next time I think I'll ride from home and not worry about driving ... as long as it's not raining and there aren't too many nuff nuffs on the road.
Tomorrow I start my new job. Up at 5.00am (that will be a challenge). Now I'm off to the supermarket to get the ingredients for dinner (quiche and salad) and other bits and pieces.
I feel fantastic.
Have a good week, all.
So. Australian path-walkers are just as annoying as American path-walkers? People are the same everywhere, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteGood luck tomorrow morning! Which, now that I think about it, is already well past in your part of the world.
Good luck with your new job!!
ReplyDeleteIs that a copse up tops?
Lovely Mary sent me.
Good luck for the job. Does early start=early finish?
ReplyDelete