Monday, 4 August 2008

The last Monday in this house


Yup.  The final countdown has begun!

One of the many things I love about the new place is the little park areas scattered throughout the estate.  This one is just around the corner from our place.  A very pleasant place to sit with a cup of coffee or a glass of red (depending on the time of day!) and look at the lake, the ducks and the golf course.  That's if I get sick of looking at the river from our balcony!

Today I filled in the forms for the redirection of our mail.  Our friends have kindly let us use their address until we have moved in.  There are two of them and 5 of us (we still get most of One and Two's mail).  I hope this isn't going to stretch the friendship too much!

Then I went through the freezer and got rid of a lot of stuff.  I have several boxes of frozen cherries which I shall have to store somewhere.  I'm not going to throw them out as they can be hard to come by and I love my cherry protein shakes.

Then we went to Active Feet and I bought some new shoes for me and convinced Himself to get some decent athletic shoes as well.  He complains that his feet and ankles hurt whenever he does any decent walking and I'm sure a lot of it is because his shoes don't provide adequate support.  I love my new shoes and my feet are a tad tweaky this evening which suggests that they are providing a bit more support than my old ones (shoes not feet).  They feel like they did when I first got the orthotics fitted.

I am looking forward to getting back into the exercise again.  I had plans to get up early tomorrow and go for a walk/run but then had a massive anxiety attack at the idea of it.  Something's not quite right.  I think it has something to do with work but I need to do a bit more investigation into my feelings in that area.

Kek commented on a post a while ago and I have only just found it.  I know, there are things I can do so I can see when people leave comments but I sort of haven't quite got around to that yet.  Anyway, she kindly invited me to email her and reminded me that she does online training (and suggested I could go over to her side of town for a one on one) so I have some good options happening.  I would like to find someone close to home cos I'm not sure how the on line thing would work without the commitment to meeting a person but the big thing is finding someone who has been overweight and isn't a spring chicken.  Kek is younger than me but isn't the same age as my kids ... which a lot of trainers seem to be.  Her web site shows what an amazing transformation she has undergone.  And I want some of that.  So I guess that's a long winded way of saying I will be contacting her once things have settled a bit on the home front.

We met Two at his surgeon's office today for his post op follow up.  He is doing very well and the surgeon was well pleased.  I haven't yet worked out how to let these people know that I'm a nurse.  "Hi, I'm Two's mother and I'm a nurse" seems a bit wanky.  But when I ask a question and they answer me in the most simplistic terms it seems rude to interrupt and announce that I know the basics please cut to the chase!  When a family member (or patient for that matter) asks me a question I always ask if they have any medical background and tailor the answers accordingly.  Much easier and less embarrassing for all concerned.  As it stands I still don't know why Two had an echocardiogram done.  He had a rapid heartrate (not uncommon post op especially when someone's in pain) and there were no irregular beats (from what I understood from today's conversation but who the hell knows!)  A cynic might comment that it was a way of getting another $350 out of the admission.

Two is well.  That's all that matters.

Back to work tomorrow.  It was lovely having today off.  I have committed to working until the end of the year but the way I'm feeling right now, that may be the end of it.  And then I'll look for something basic and close to home.

4 more drives to and from work from this address.
7 more sleeps in my bed.
6 more dinners for the cats (CATTERY, folks, I'm not my mother! No final solution for these felines!)
4 more nights with telly (Dr Teacher will take our old one on Saturday so we will be tellyless until we've moved into the beach flat).
8 more days of guaranteed internet access - not sure what we will do in the 6 weeks.
1 more party - roll on Saturday!



MizS ... if you google Patterson River, Carrum, Bonbeach, Chelsea, Edithvale or Aspendale (in Australia!) you should get an idea of what the beach and our river are like.  The city of Melbourne is at the top of Port Phillip Bay (a substantial body of water) and suburbs and townships extend down both sides of the bay.  I am biased and think our beach is the best!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting, I can't wait till we are down to the final week!

    ReplyDelete