Thursday, 3 March 2022

Here is the news in brief

Amy has two sick kids. I think she might be looking forward to going back to work!

Himself and I went out for lunch at his suggestion. Ye gods and little fishes this is almost becoming a regular thing!

I am on a break from class. The computer gods are smiling on me tonight and the course isn't too complicated. I think we are learning more and expecting less.

I have all but finished the scarf for my brother. I am very pleased with how it looks. 

I had another migraine this afternoon which has left me feeling a bit woolly in the head. It gives me a good excuse to eat rice for dinner. Rice with butter and grated cheese (or rice without anything else as we called it as kids) is one of my favourite go to comfort foods.

When I was a kid living in Hong Kong we would get the news headlines aka the news in brief around 5.30. As it was always focused on the Vietnam war, for a long time I thought Brief was another country in South East Asia.

Thank you and good night.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment was so bad, I deleted it. Take two.

    You made me laugh. Was Brief supporting Vietnam or the Americans?

    Migraines must be horrible.

    We have rice a couple of times a week, but I don't eat very much. What rice is served and is scooped up with rest of the dish and is fine, but I don't load my fork with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued at how bad your comment must have been!
      I was confused that Brief was never mentioned in the main bulletin. I think I assumed it was a lesser war as the update was always, well, brief!
      Migraines are horrible. I lose my vision for half and hour or so and then have a foggy brain and headache for a day or so. They have improved with age, thank god. I used to be laid up for days.
      I only eat rice like this when needed for medicinal purposes. Otherwise I eat it like a normal person

      Delete
  3. Ye gods and little fishes . Gave me a smile to see someone else use this great expression .
    Another rice lover here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every so often the old sayings fall into my brain! English is a great language albeit a bit confusing!
      I have just remembered rice pudding. Proper rice pudding not the crap you get in the supermarket!

      Delete
  4. I love that 'news in brief' and thinking it was a country. I remember being in Australia and seeing signs that said 'Refuge Island'. I actually thought I was on a place called Refuge Island only to discover it's what you call those little areas in the middle of the road to cross safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our police used to have a division called the "accident appreciation unit". They checked out the cause of nasty traffic accidents but I envisaged them giving scores out of 10. We are a weird mob!

      Delete
  5. Hope your migraine goes and your feeling better soon
    It might actually be the news in brief causing your headache, it’s a horrible time for so many I’ve stopped watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am better today, thanks, Angela. I have stopped watching/reading the news. I hear enough incidentally.

      Delete
  6. Migraines are horrible. Thank goodness I don't get one very often. Hope you feel better today. I liked your anecdote about living in Hong Kong. Seemingly things are pretty bad there, Covid-wise, at the moment so be glad you're not still there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, Chris. I have been getting them since I was in my teens. There is a familial link - my mother, brother and two of my sons had/get them.
      I have great memories of growing up in HK but I wouldn't want to go there now - regardless of Covid.

      Delete