We finally got together to celebrate birthdays. I, too, got a gift as my birthday disappeared down the Covid gully trap last year. $100 to spend at my favourite yarn shop in Hastings. I am a lucky duck.
We went to a place called Sugar Buns. We were under impressed and won't be going back.
The picture is of Amy's "lunch". A MINI bubblegum shake (the blue/pink concoction next to Alice's bottle) which had all manner of lollies - jelly snakes, jelly babies, coloured popcorn, lollipops - as well as a bucket load of icecream and wafers. Diabetes in a glass. She also had the hotcakes (foreground) which came with "House made lemon curd, mixed berry compote, seasonal fruits, pistachio crumb, shredded coconut, vanilla bean ice cream, maple syrup."
The large scoop of icecream was in the icecream cone. I believe she had a massive sugar crash when she got home!
We asked if we could halve the serving size of the hot cakes. No. Could we order from the kids menu? No. Could the baby (5 month old Alice) order from the kids menu? If you have a kid at the table, yes. So K ordered the KIDS pancake with maple syrup and icecream. 2 massive pancakes with icecream and the ubiquitous coloured popcorn. She barely touched it, there was that much. And that was for a kid under 12.
I don't mind paying for a meal one bit but I do have an issue with serving sizes that are so big they are off putting. And I hate wasting food.
I ordered a thai chicken salad. Soooo much salad which was limp with warm dressing and you had to hunt for the chicken. My freshly squeezed carrot, apple, ginger and turmeric juice was lovely, though.
The lass that served us was great and I could see she was uncomfortable with the rules. It was run, as far as I could make out, by a bunch of trendy males who could do with some lessons in customer care and education on what the demographic actually want - not what trendy dudes think they do. Even Macca's will customise a burger. I can't see how hard it is to put less food on the plate. More to sell, one would think.
I will be interested to see how they go. They aren't cheap and I think once the novelty factor has worn off people will go elsewhere.
After "lunch" I went and had a massage at the local chinese massage place. I haven't been in one of these for years. It was OK - boy were my back and leg muscles tight - and I will go back for head and shoulders on a regular basis.
When I got home Mick came over to quote us on demolishing and installing the kitchen. I have a feeling it's going to be more than Himself expected but we have bought the damn kitchen now, haven't we!? We can demolish ourselves to save a dollar or two. That will be fun. Smashing a glass splash back, anyone? Woohoo!!
We have put all Helen's clothes and toiletries in a bag and they will go to the tip. I could sort through to see if there is anything worth donating but after finding socks belonging to someone else I figured it could all go. I have kept the un-opened dressing packs they were using for her wound as they may come in handy. Her photos and other memorabilia will be offered to the grandkids. This is the messy, uncomfortable part of death.
Fortunately we did the massive cleanout when Ted died and Helen moved into care. We found several thousand dollars hidden around the house. A friend of my father-in-law demanded access to the house to check for things we wouldn't know were important as Himself doesn't read or speak Polish. It didn't much to realise what he was actually after. $$ are $$ regardless what language you speak!
I found a $10 note in Helen's purse along with a photo of her beloved prick of a husband.
Fancy a 'friend' of your father in law going through his house to effectively steal from his widow. Some people...
ReplyDeleteHe is a nasty piece of work. Going over mother in laws meticulously kept books we found out he had benefited very nicely from them financially over the years. He accused Himself of ignoring him at Father in Law's funeral. We have no idea what he looks like!
DeleteI don't think I'd go back to Sugar Buns either! It was a very different generation who stored money around the house - a distrust of banks maybe?
ReplyDeleteThey were both products of the war and the aftermath. I think they liked paying for everything in cash and felt comfortable having it to hand. We did find the ubiquitous $50 note under the mattress!
DeleteSugar Buns sounds like a nightmare!! Way too much sugar. I remember getting pancakes in US one morning and it came covered in this awful, sugary, gluey red stuff and fake cream. I never ate it but did wonder at the many people who did.
ReplyDeleteIn smaller amounts it might have been ok but too much food on a plate is off-putting at the best of times. With the amount of sugar and bright artificial colours it was just gross.
DeleteI too hate waste. Once they start throwing out more we more food they might realise it would be more cost affective to have smaller portions charge a bit less and then they would get more customers
ReplyDeleteI’m having a sugar crash headache just from looking at the pic!
Amy was crashing as we left the shopping centre! She turned very pale and was very tired. Cheap ingredients and overpriced meals - they will still make a profit and don't think they give a hoot about waste.
Delete