Monday, 1 August 2022

august already

 


A friend shared this today. I can relate!!

Himself went and had a look at a project car today. It is something he has been whingeing about discussing for a long time now. He once bought an old BMW from a neighbour and it sat in the garage until he sold it as he found the whole thing overwhelming and then it became constant reminder of his perceived failure. This is a potential rust bucket but it's inexpensive and will give him an idea if it's what he really wants to do without having the guilt of spending big biccies. If he decided it's not what he wants he can sell it. Makes sense to me. Unfortunately he is overthinking things as usual so probably won't get it and then I will have to listen to him wishing he had. I am being very supportive and trying hard not to nag. He really needs something like this and he might even join a group and make friends with similar interests.

I am enjoying working on Sally's scarf and listening to Forgotten Australia podcasts. Some are quite amusing and some are downright harrowing. As the name suggests these are glimpses into our past that have been forgotten or at the very least are no longer talked about. Today I learned that Australia has been part of the horrific practice of blackbirding which went on right into the early 20th century. South Sea Islanders were kidnapped and sold to work in our plantations. Townsville is named after a very unpleasant bloke called Robert Towns who made a lot of his money this way using people from all over the region. And I mean using. Just awful. 

Slavery still exists today and it can be argued blackbirding does, too. That deserves more and I will do some research for a later post.

Bacon sangas for dinner tonight. We will use commercially baked rolls.



6 comments:

  1. It's good to know of these past practices so we can make amends. Some things happened here that don't bear thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any country that was colonised has a dark past. We should acknowledge it, learn from it and move on. Some were things done with the best of intentions but some were just barbaric and were known to be at the time.

      Delete
  2. While I know about the blackbirding, I didn't know Townsville is named after a blackbirder. I haven't heard any push to change the name. Maybe the Kanaka descendants don't want the past brought up and become divisive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to find that out, Andrew. I would have thought it would have been renamed by now.

      Delete
  3. A project car does sound like a great idea. Except right now parts are really hard to come by Hubby is having a horrible time trying to source parts as the old, supply issues, excuse is becoming more and more common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, he decided against this one as they are known for rust. He's still on the look out though.

      Delete