Thursday, 4 August 2022

Friends

I remember when you had a group of friends and maybe 2 or 3 really close friends. You had acquaintances and people you had never met of heard of and didn't give a hoot about

Nowadays everyone seems to be friends with everyone even if they've no idea who they are.

I am fortunate to only be on Facebook and cull that list regularly. I don't understand the obsession with anti-social media and the opinions of total strangers. The anguish and stress it causes is beyond belief but oh, so real. I would hate to be a new mum today. Whatever they do someone will tear them down. I limit my commenting to unknown people to blogs and only after I have read them for a while and never intend to cause offence.

I used to have a friend (used to as in no longer with us rather than no longer a friend) who would get into massive on-line arguments with strangers over all sorts of things. I could never see the point. If I disagree with a stranger I'll move on. If I disagree with someone I know and feel it's important enough to me to discuss it, I will. Otherwise let it go.

Funnily enough, all my friends (apart from two very old ones from a long time ago) I have made through the internet one way or another. One day I will go down that memory lane. 

Nature is a wonderful thing. As we feel that winter is going to go on forever the wattle starts to bloom and we are rewarded with stunning yellow blossom. Today I saw the first pink flowers on a nature strip tree (I think it's a flowering cherry). Bulbs are coming up - even some of my daffodils have made the effort. Soon we will see a blush of green (can you have green blush?) on the deciduous trees. 

The days are getting longer (actually they're not - there are still 24 hours in a day but you know what I mean) and it won't be long before we see and hear baby birds. 

I don't go down into the back garden often but when I did I found my daphnes in glorious sweet scented bloom and the violets I nicked from my mother in law's place when she moved into care are showing their pretty purple faces. The camellia is heavy with bud and will soon be covered in pink and the jasmine is starting to flower and will smell heavenly. 

Life is good.

9 comments:

  1. Your winters are short. I have a friend I grew up with who lives in Adelaide. I don't know how she got used to the upside down seasons. She emailed me today, her marriage is iffy, and she said she couldn't come back to Canada, the winters would kill her. They are bloody long.

    Your flowers sound lovely. Spring is always wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winters are certainly short compared to yours. I can see why you embrace summer with such passion. Even though I have lived here since I was 15 I still miss a cold Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I love the internet for meeting like minded people
    And I’ve reconnected with lots of school friends
    If your careful you can create a community that’s is safe from all the arguments and yes I do a lot of scrolling and sitting on my hands lol
    Spring is in the air. Only slightly but you can feel that the wheel has turned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was almost a bit of heat in the sun yesterday, Angela. Sadly today it's gone. My son works for Qantas and some of his work appears on their facebook page. I have to keep scrolling because of the idiot comments.

      Delete
  3. Your winter seems to have passed quickly, it must be lovely to start seeing the new growth appearing. I'm about ready to pull out some of my tomato plants as they have struggled in the heat this year - still managed to produce a good crop, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Pixie, we do have short winters compared with you. I would like our seasons to be a bit more differentiated but that's Australia for you.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I don't understand how people get into all sorts of trouble on FB. They must hunt things out or be controversial themselves. Beats me. Yesterday I received a friend request from the daughter of Ex Sis in Law's friend. I've had one decent conversation with her several years ago before she visited Russia. I'll just ignore it and hope she isn't offended. I hate being put in such a position. In fact I am going to do a cull today.
    I love daphne. It shouldn't be where is can't be seen. Yes, more daylight. I am enjoying the little bit extra and the milder weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry about hurting her feelings, Andrew. A pet peeve is when someone you've only met pulls out their phone and says I'll friend you on FB. Never had the guts to say no but will usually wait a couple of days then cull!
      I have an old daphne bush that came with the house. It is hidden amongst fishbone fern but blooms every year so I leave it alone. I planted a white daphne at the foot of the steps under the camellia. It is just gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. Just catching up on blog reading. I agree about social media and only positive comments etc. It's all got so nasty... not for me.

    ReplyDelete