The phone rang and woke me up. OK, it wasn't early but I have started going to bed after midnight and reading and then sleeping in. Shoot me.
It was Mads. She and Henry had spent the night in hospital because a few people had commented on his noisy breathing. She hadn't been too worried as he is feeding well and gaining weight and is otherwise a content baby. She saw her GP who told her to go to emergency to get him checked out. They did a whole lot of tests and kept them in to rule out sleep apnoea.
They think it might be laryngomalacia but he isn't presenting typically for that and if it is then it is a severe case. Kids usually grow out of it.
As of 6pm they were still waiting to hear if the ENT dudes were going to get to them today. Sounds like a mess but it is the public system and costs them nothing and they will get excellent care.
J and C and I had plans to go to our favourite yarn shop today. C was picking me up. She then messaged us to say she had some bowel issues and couldn't make it. She ended up in hospital being ... unplugged shall we say. She has had some pretty horrific bowel issues in the past and is understandably twitchy when things don't go according to plan. She is now home with an appointment with a gastroenterologist tomorrow (and, yes, things have cleared).
J and I had a lovely time at the yarn shop and only bought 3 skeins of new sock yarn. This hobby is NOT cheap!! But the yarn is just too gorgeous to leave behind. I could easily have spent $800 on sock yarn alone so I am justifying my $83. Each skein gives me a pair of socks with yarn left over which I can use to make scrappy socks or beanies or mittens.
We had a really yummy lunch at one of Hastings newer cafes. It has replaced the coffee shop which I used to go to when I worked in Hastings. They make everything on the premises from relish to ice-cream. The menu isn't huge but changes regularly and they prepare from fresh.
We popped into a manchester outlet and I was able to tick some gifts off my list.
Himself picked Sally up from her last day at school. Mum picked her up just after I got home. She is very excited about Christmas.
A game of scrabble and Himself is now making homemade hamburgers for dinner. I am enjoying a wine and thinking that I might just make it through the season in one piece.
Tomorrow we will head to Karingal (not a huge shopping centre by any stretch of the imagination but enough to send my anxiety levels through the roof).
I will have a list.
Lists make me feel I have control.
Lists….lists are important. I make one even if there’s only 2 items on it. I have been known to leave the shop with 2 items- neither of which were what I went in for (and yes those were on the shelves). My excuse is I get sidetracked!
ReplyDeleteI’ve closed up shop for the year Caro - Merry Christmas to you and himself (and all the others on your cast list). See you in the New Year 😘
Thank you, Cathy.
DeleteThe list is getting shorter!
Lists are good. I don't have to take them with me. By the act of writing them down, I remember the list. R has been inside Karingal but I haven't. I think Karingal might be on a human scale at least and not a mega centre. Don't forget to say hello to Santa with the real beard and mention me and R. Oh, you have to book and pay apparently, which includes a photo with Santa with a cardboard background. Karingal Centre FaceBook kicked off with complaints.
ReplyDeleteWe wandered past Santa today. His beard was definitely real so it might have been the real Santa! I didn't stop to ask if he knew you - he had kids sitting next to him. (They don't seem to sit on Santa's lap anymore. Probably too hot)
DeleteList are a must for me...lost without them.
ReplyDeleteHope your Henry feels better soon!
hughugs
Donna
Thanks, Donna. Still waiting to hear which I suppose is a good thing.
DeleteWorrying about the baby, but you sound pretty confident in his care. Let's hope it resolves soon.
ReplyDeleteI hear you on shopping malls. I haven't been in an enclosed mall for years. Usually my destinations are strip malls, much easier on the nerves.
We have very few strip malls here. They used to be the mainstay of the suburbs but now seem to have become cafes.
DeleteOur health system here isn't perfect but it is better than most and when infants are involved they are quick off the mark.
Keep us posted on little Henry. Seems like being sent to the ED would be extremely anxiety-producing.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so much! I'm glad you got to go buy some yarn, at least.
They don't recommend ED lightly but he would be seen by the relevant teams in a timely fashion.
DeleteIt's always scary when you have to take a baby to ER, hopefully everything is fine.
ReplyDeleteI love my lists, keeps my organized. Of course I forget to take the lists with my sometimes, so that doesn't help. Have a good day.
I forget lists but sometimes I can remember writing them and that often helps.
DeleteI make lists and then lose them too. Lost today's list before I got to the store but only left off one thing so I think the act of writing things down helps me remember.
ReplyDeleteWriting definitely seems to trigger a memory pathway. I often count the items so if I forget the list I try to remember what I was counting.
DeleteHopefully they get to the bottom of what’s going on. Yes waiting is hard. But we don’t have to pay, and we don’t have to go broke paying medical bills in this country and for that im very grateful
ReplyDeleteAs for the sock yarn. I totally get the addiction. I’ll be your enabler and you can be mine lol
I still haven't heard anything so assuming no news is good news.
DeleteI have more sock yarn than I know what to do with and I keep buying more. It is so pretty and squishy.