Tuesday, 27 December 2022

Bleh

I am still in shut down mode. 

It is disgustingly hot (I told you it wouldn't be long before I was complaining about the heat!) and I really just turn into a blob of mushy nothingness at this time of the year regardless of the weather. I wish I had invited the brothers for next week when I usually start to perk up but it is done now.

Three has had a faint positive Covid result. I was almost tempted to use his photo as an excuse for getting out of Thursday but I would have to reschedule so I might as well get it over with.

This is such a shame as I used to love getting together with my side of the family but things and people have changed over the years as they do.

Himself got up early and took the dogs for a walk. He kindly turned on the aircon in our bedroom when he came back as it was starting to warm up and I was planning another lie in. 

The control said 18*C but the unit itself was set to heat at 27*C. SOMEONE obviously felt chilly during the cooler months and decided to use the aircon rather than get up and rug up. Once I am up I don't generally go back to bed so up I was. 

I spent the day on the computer, doing word puzzles, knitting and playing scrabble. 

The minimum temp tonight is forecast to be 26*C. This is obscene. It is currently 36*C at 7pm. Tomorrow we (read Himself) will be shopping for lunch on Thursday and making a potato salad. I will give the house a quick going over and melt elegantly until the cool change comes through. It will inevitably come with a significant drop in barometric pressure so I will feel off and very cranky.

Be grateful you don't live in this house.

23 comments:

  1. Well, you can keep your heat! It is 3c here at the moment, ( 9am in SE England) though my phone tells me it will " feel like" minus 1 . I don't function very well in heat and this year we were in the 30s on quite a few occasions. Awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have lived here since '71 and spent my childhood in Hong Kong my blood is still thin and English and I will always hate the heat!

      Delete
  2. Drama Queen! But if it is not 22 degrees, I am a serial weather complainer. Thursday will be cooler and it will be fine for a family gathering. You'll be refreshed by then. We will turn the aircon off at bedtime and rely on overhead fans, a doubled over sheet and that we start our sleep with a cool home. Before overhead bedroom fans, we used to leave the aircon on overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always slept with a fan going (unless someone complains it is too cold). Our house is designed so that the aircon doesn't reach the bedroom so we have to use the one in there which isn't ideal but when it is really hot it is worth it.

      Delete
  3. It has been 41 degrees celcius here in Swan Hill for a week. It will get to 45 degrees soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard for me to believe it's that warm anywhere right now! Not that I'm doubting you -- more lamenting the limits of my own imagination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too hot when the it's above 20C for me at night; the house doesn't have a chance to cool off and we don't have AC.

    Heat like that sucks. We had a heat wave about a year and a half ago, 38C, which for us is hot. When I opened the car window while we were driving, it felt like a hair dryer.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pixie, it should never get above 20C at night!
      Is your heat a dry heat or a humid one? I find that makes a lot of difference.

      Delete
    2. It's probably a dry heat compared to some places in the world, but humid for us. When it go that hot, the humidity was pretty high.

      Delete
  6. I will trade your 26*C for our negative 26*C any day. It is
    "mild" today, only -5*C, with a faint show of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done, Pat! Maybe you should have come here and my family gone there!

      Delete
  7. Weather changes can be so wearying. So can Christmas. So can life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always best to get in-law visits out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad, Liz, because we used to get on so well.

      Delete
  9. Relatives, flu, taxes, this too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I keep telling myself, Liz. Bring on Friday.

      Delete
  10. The Stalker
    39 degrees in Adelaide at 7pm…melting elegantly …a lovely phrase…never done it myself though..
    .As they say you can’t choose your relatives but you always love them regardless
    Enjoy . Good wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mental image and reality often don't quite meet! I feel that my elegant melting might have been more like an unseemly puddle.
      I love my brothers dearly and wish we could move past this but one holier than thou sister in law and a pedantic husband make this difficult. I am sure all will be on their best behaviour tomorrow but it will still be uncomfortable.

      Delete
  11. It was a terrible night. Even with the aircon on and a fan.
    The cool change arrived early and it was most welcome. Unfortunately like you I felt the change in my body and yup. It’s not a nice feeling at all. So I too am sitting and knitting
    Fingers crossed it all settles down into a more constant, but enjoyable, weather pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could we please just have some lovely summer days in the mid to high 20s with no rain or wind. Is that too much to ask?

      Delete
  12. We were in your neck of the woods (well Mount Martha) yestetday and it was 39. Urgh! I hate heat. Luckily we're in Horsham tonight and it's UNDER 30!! Thank god.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mt Martha isn't far from here but anywhere would have been yuck it was so hot. Safe travels home.

      Delete