I don't about you but I find I tend to rush at things.
When I am knitting or crocheting I have a tendency to strangle the needles/hook in my haste to get things started. This causes my tension to go haywire and my hands to ache and leads to the inevitable frogging or tinking at least a couple of times before I can get the project properly underway.
Today I baked another fruit cake to take to The Mermaid's place on Christmas Day (sherry instead of liqueur this time). I was rushing to get the ingredients into the pan. Rushing to cut the paper to line the tin. Rushing to line the tin.
This morning I baked a loaf of bread - again, rushing to get the flour weighed and the bowls oiled.
I raced around the supermarket getting the things I needed for the fruit cake.
When I prune my roses I am in such a hurry to get it done that I end up scratched to blazes and my back aches.
I rush through books (unless I quietly read at bedtime like I am with Beans and John as a gentle wind down).
I am often told to slow down when I am doing the housework (although a fast pace means sooner finished I believe!).
I guess I am just rushing through my life and it must stop. I don't enjoy the moment. I fumble and flail and spill things and tear paper and muck up my crafts.
I am trying to teach myself to stop, breathe and take in the moment. Whether it is mixing a cake, knitting a sock or scrubbing a toilet. Everything we do deserves to be done mindfully. I will stop and smell the roses, taste the cakemix (not too much ... hic ...) and not spill the flour all over the floor in my haste.
What is the old saying? More haste less speed? Or is it more speed and less haste? I can never remember.
******
OK ... according to google it is the former and dates back to the 16th Century.
Whatever.
Just remember to breathe, take your time and enjoy the moment.
My rushing days are over thank goodness. At the moment if I move any slower I’ll never get anywhere.
ReplyDeleteAnd in line with your little saying a very wise lady told me years ago….the slower you go the faster you’ll get there - unless like me you’ve come to a full stop ๐
I like that saying. I should take heed!
DeleteI believe in the saying. Slower gives you thinking time and you then do things more efficiently and it often ends up being quicker. Slow is better and another reason to like phone texts, messages and emails as they give you time to think before responding.
ReplyDeleteOh yes. I have been known to respond with a knee jerk and regret it later.
DeleteI find I rush on really bad pain days. I rush to get it all done before I collapse, the irony is I crash quicker. Silly really
ReplyDeleteI can see the temptation but the price is not good.
DeleteI wonder if rushing is a legacy of a busy life where your job requires it? Then it becomes a habit. Yes, breathing is good!
ReplyDeleteNurses do tend to do things quickly but I think I have always been like this.
DeleteThis sounds like a situation where mindfulness meditation might help. Now- do I know anything about that? No.
ReplyDeleteWe say, "Haste makes waste," and that of course is true.
Yoko Ono once said, "When you're running behind, dress slowly."
I'm just full of helpful advice, aren't I? Honestly though, I hate rushing to do anything these days.
The funny thing is I hate being rushed but it's the doing of things that I attack like a bull at a gate.
DeleteThe Stalker
ReplyDeleteRushing…..is good It means you have lots to do and cannot ever used the bored word I like to have a jobs list for each day because I hate wasting time in the mornings as I do the Mediterranean afternoon thing
After lunch…it’s reading and relaxing time nothing happens for two hours and then I get on with whatever else needs doing When I retired at 63. I decided those two hours were me time …generally it works but sometimes not.
I think it’s the OC thing .. after 40 years of teaching it’s hard to drop lifetime habits ..up at 5.30 am and bed at 9 ish
But I love my life and its routines.. and I never use the bored word.. though I am probably a bore๐
I can't see you ever being a bore! I like your idea of two hours of me time. Lists are a life saver.
DeleteI have a hard time slowing down too but with my foot it's been mandatory and as time goes by, I'm okay with it, most of the time.
ReplyDeleteI also find with Jack that I don't rush like I did when my own kids were little, mind you, I had three and my ex husband was always away.
Sometimes our bodies force us to slow down. Will you go back to work, do you think? I think we spend more time with our grandkids as we realise how precious these days are.
Delete