Sunday, 18 December 2022

Peppery nuts


I do have other grandchildren and I do love them all but I don't get to see them as often nor get sent photos! One sent me this on Friday. Lily has finished kindergarten and goes to big girl school next year. (As does Audrey in NSW). One is actually a good foot taller than Ebs not that you would realise in this photo which I cropped to hide identification in Lily's certificate of graduation. There were tears from the educators as she is a popular wee thing. I wonder how Ivy will go without her big sister next year. 



I tried the other recipe for pfeffernusse where you cream the butter and sugar and molasses together rather than melt them. This also has an egg. I think the texture is better although Himself pronounced them dry (that might have had something to do with him stuffing something the size of a small egg covered in icing sugar into his mouth). I had planned to glaze them but this recipe called for the warm pfeffernusses to be tossed in a bowl of soft icing mixture and I am thrilled with the result. They sort of glaze themselves with a bit of dusty sugar left as well. I shall double the recipe and make smaller rolls for next weekend. That will be plenty for the kids on Saturday and to take to the Mermaid's on Sunday.




I wonder if pfeffernusse are to Christmas what hot cross buns are to Easter. Would I be vilified if I made them all through the year?

I recently read that the tradition of giving gifts at Christmas predates Christianity by eons. My atheist soul (is that an oxymoron?) is starting to feel more comfortable with the upcoming weekend.

The week in between this weekend and the next, though, will be busy if my list is anything to go by. Not busy by others' standards but this black cat doesn't do too many things in one day without having a quiet meltdown. 

My brothers and their wives are coming here for lunch on 29th. After the debacle that was our last family get together in February I am not looking forward to this. I am sure everyone will be on their best behaviour but the tension will be there. At least it won't be a long lunch as the Teachers have a long drive back home.

And then we can all relax and enjoy the summer. As I have said before, I am not one for NY resolutions but next year is going to be so different in so many ways.

10 comments:

  1. Had to go back to last February's posting to see what happened...I understand...My husband's brother and sister-in-law are pious Christians. In other words, they say one thing while doing another.
    Had to work with them both in the family owned business for close to 30 years...SOOO GLAD we are now retired!! We had several rough times with them but it's over now. We never visit them unless it's a holiday (only because the boy's Dad is still alive-97). Conversations are always casual...fine by me. I know my husband is saddened by the situation but over the years we've tried to be "family", but it never works out.
    Hang in there...
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 years is a long time! We get on OK as long as certain topics don't get discussed. Like most families I guess.

      Delete
  2. I think pfeffers are really Christmas specific! Otherwise they wouldn't be special any more. Around here that's when you can get them, so that's probably where I got the idea.
    Families, I sometimes wonder why they were invented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit. I'd better enjoy them while I can, then! They are great fun to make. Maybe I can make some for Christmas in July which is a thing I loathe (it's so we downunderers can have a cold Christmas) but if it means pfeffers I will make an exception.

      Delete
  3. I would go right over the edge if I had to be around that much family when they don't get along. I am hoping that enough time has passed since the darkness of what happened in February for things to be a little smoother.
    By the way- Lily is absolutely a doll baby. And her mother looks exactly like Snow White! Well, at least to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Teacher knows everything, Other Brother is pedantic and Himself likes to stir the pot.
      Lily is indeed a doll baby. Her little sister is just as cute but with slightly different colouring. And Ebs does look like Snow White, you are correct. She is always glam even when she's just chilling.

      Delete
  4. I guess you talk most about the family you have most to do with and see often. It's a nice photo. I didn't know those biscuits were for Christmas. I used to eat them anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Andrew. Three and his lot do rely on us a lot whereas One's mother in law rules that particular roost!
      I shall now eat pfeffers with impunity all year round, thank you.

      Delete
  5. They do look delicious. I always have plenty of PTSD moments during the run up to Christmas. But circumstances have changed and I’ll only have my children and grandchildren here on Boxing Day. So I am able to breathe again. Families. You can’t choose them unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are worse than others. Sending you festive hugs.

      Delete