Wednesday, 14 December 2022

Stones or Beatles?

Sally has kids' messenger on 'her' ipad. We often have conversations. (6am Saturday "Hi Grany"). She was pretty crook last week and still wasn't 100% over the weekend. Yesterday I got this message. I replied and her answer cracked me up for some reason. She is 6 for heavens sake!!




I baked another fruit cake today. This one had spiced rum in it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I listened to music through my new headphones while boiling the fruit and then vacuumed the floors. I swear I got things done a lot faster! I couldn't hear the vacuum cleaner either and I'm sure that helped me decide I was just bopping along to good music.

Spotify offers me playlists based on previous selections and they are pretty good as well as introducing me to performers I might not otherwise listen to. As always the Stones was in this playlist and it reminded me of when I was 10/11 and at boarding school in '66/'67 and one had to choose between The Beatles and The Stones as girls of that age are wont to do. Even back then I found the Beatles a bit insipid. (Heresy to many, I know). The Stones, though, had that raw sound and they were a bit naughty. Today I am still a Stones girl. I have never really loved the Beatles although some of their music is OK. It is, of course, the music of a generation and it certainly influenced the world of rock and roll but I think others of the time were far better but perhaps had less effective marketing strategies. Who can forget the outrage when Lennon said they were going to be bigger than Jesus?

Now my music contains such a variety I don't think I could categorise my taste at all. I think the only thing that I really haven't clicked with is rap (can it even be called music). I can't cope with all heavy metal but some is good (just not at the volume that many listen to it!).

I am grateful that music has the ability to reduce me to tears of both sadness and exultation. It triggers memories of places and people I had long thought I had forgotten. It makes the unpleasant tolerable. It distracts from pain, both physical and emotional. It adds extra joy to happy occasions whilst creating new memories.

Life would be such a grey, dull place without music.

20 comments:

  1. We have something in common, an attraction to the bad boys of rock and roll. It is in our genes you know. My mother lusted after Johnny O'Keefe even more than Elvis. Like you, I like all kinds of music, but so rarely bother with music now except for a little time on my tablet before I sleep. Would I like curated music from Spotify? I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like different songs of both groups. Loved Hey Jude...
    It's wonderful your granddaughter messages you! My granddaughter still does and she's 28.
    Enjoy your day!
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the music of our youth. The girls at Rosemead School for Girls would not have approved you liking both, though.

      Delete
  3. I love lots of different music. Sometimes I even listen to really old stuff. Which was big when I wasn’t even born. The new stuff just doesn’t interest me at all. Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love classical music. I guess that would count as really old!

      Delete
  4. That eternal question - Beatles Vs Stones? Personally I am on the side of the Stones, I always preferred their sound, and found their lyrics more to my liking. In respect of other bands, I was more in favour of the Who than the Beatles, and tracks from many other bands too.
    Also, on a different level, I have never warmed to Paul McCartney as a person - he has always seemed to me to be a bit of an arrogant bastard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I think alike, Will! Had Lennon lived I think he would be an arrogant bastard as well.

      Delete
  5. I've never had any interest in pop groups, so when people chose favorites I just marveled that they liked them. Always the loner with my love of medieval and Renaissance music! But a lot of the best licks from the Beatles, abba and the Mamas and the Papas are medieval, those guys had good musicology to draw on. So that gave me something to like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting observation, Liz. Abba's music is apparently very complicated which makes sense, now.

      Delete
  6. Why must there be a Beatles VS Stones? For me, it is Beatles AND Stones. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are a lonely 10 year old stuck in a boarding school you toe the line and choose. Maybe it was a UK thing.

      Delete
  7. Kid's are so funny and become their own people so quickly.

    I don't really care for either the Beatles or The Stones but prefer Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queen were/are amazing. I should sit down and list all the bands from earlier that I listened to. The Beatles and Stones were there but not the favourites. Emmerson, Lake and Palmer were the soundtrack to my final exams in high school.

      Delete
  8. Funny story - Spotify sends an end of year "top songs" list and my most played was an awful rap song and it said I'd played it over 250 times! It turns out that my grandson had used my Spotify account (on a device I lent to him) so now my favourite tunes list is full of awful rap music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, that is really funny. I do remember a time when the Wiggles featured predominantly on my playlist.

      Delete
  9. Definitely The Beatles - never was a Stones fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot to say, Abba is my all time favourite group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when they were big here in Australia in the 70s I didn't quite get them as they were very much marketed towards pre-teen girls. Now, though, we listen to them often. Have you heard their new album? I love how their voices have mellowed but the magic is still there.

      Delete
    2. My one abiding memory of ABBA is watching them win Eurovision with Waterloo - it was during my first visit to my future in-laws, so a memorable occasion!

      Delete