Sunday, 11 December 2022

Sunday snippets.

I made crumpets today. This is the crumpet batter after sitting for 45 minutes and just before I started cooking them. Himself was busy in the garden so I have popped them away for breakfast over the next couple of days. He can have TWO in one sitting. Not 8.





I pinched this as it made me smile. I haven't done chocolate advent calendars since the boys were little but I do remember finding the doors open way sooner than they should have been!




More snaps from yesterday.

Coriander flowers 




My potatoes are starting to die back. This means I should be able to find out if there are any to harvest soon. And then I shall have to decide what to plant until next October when I can plant spuds again. 




A teeny tiny tomato looking a bit like Alice's chubby bum!
 



If you look very carefully at the blurry plant (just under the white string) you can see a tiny capsicum. I think we might be waiting some time.

 

Three and his lot popped in after having Santa photos taken at the local shopping centre. Not the one where Andrew personally knows Santa but a small one close by and much quieter. 

Three took the ONE KILO zucchini I picked yesterday and will use it to make a lasagne ... or something. He also took rocket, carrots and basil. Alice is now running everywhere and is very cunning. She will do something she knows she shouldn't and when you are distracted she takes off in the direction she wanted to go all along. Towards the stairs. Down the street. Chuckling maniacally the whole time! 

The popcorn makers arrived today. Only a few more small things and I have the littles sorted. 

The cool change has arrived and it is now raining. Snow is forecast this week in the high country. 

20 comments:

  1. The gardens are slow but I’m pretty sure they’ll take off once the summer weather arrives. I suspect it’s going to come in late and fry us
    Home made crumpets sound so very yummy. Isn’t it nice to be able to share the produce with our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like crumpets I can give you the recipe. My tomatoes seem to have something that is causing the leaf to brown and become brittle.
      Between thee and me I would be happy if all my garden did was feed the kids!

      Delete
  2. Yeah the rains arrived here about 4pm….back to the usual ‘in the teens’ next week.
    Did they used to call large zucchini vegetable marrows or am I thinking about the wrong veg. Oh and bring back the glittery cardboard advent calendars….not too much temptation with them. Nothing behind the window but a picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those glittery cardboard advent calendars were so exciting. Some of the windows were a bit disappointing (a sock?) but the anticipation of what was behind the large 24 was always thrilling. Can you imagine giving one of those to the children of today?

      Delete
  3. I have been reading your posts for a while now, but still haven't quite got used to the fact that I have just got up on Sunday and you are probably thinking about going to bed on Sunday!
    Very heavy frost here this morning, the garden looks as if it has snowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time differences fascinate me. How cool to live in a place where if you crossed the road it was yesterday or tomorrow. They made sure that line of longitude jiggled around land so it couldn't happen. Spoil sports.

      Delete
  4. While I do know about plants I have no knowledge of growing potatoes. My brother grew some and he knows nothing of gardening and plants. Your creative energy amazes me, from your garden to your cooking to your crafts and you still manage to be social with family too. And you play Scrabble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Andrew. The garden is a bit of fun but we do have to eat! If the family didn't pop in we probably wouldn't be that sociable. We rarely see One and his lot for that reason and they are the closest to us.

      Delete
  5. So where's the photo of the finished crumpets? And you remind me: I still haven't filled our Advent calendar so when I get around to it we will have to eat at least 11 chocolates straightaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hard task but someone will have to eat those chocolates. I will take a photo of the crumpets today.

      Delete
  6. Last night I needed to feed my sourdough starter and used the part I took out to make up some biscuits for this morning. We shall see what we get- I've never done this before! Might be a ridiculous failure. And when I say "biscuits" of course I mean the kind that you would maybe call scones or even crumpets.
    I bet your potatoes are just about ready to dig!
    Can't believe you're going to get snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you bake biscuits or cook them on top of the stove. Scones are baked, crumpets are cooked in crumpet rings in a frypan. I really must give sourdough a go. A goal for next year.
      We don't get snow where we live but to have snow in the high country at this time of year is unusual.

      Delete
  7. My hubby got Jack a Kindersurprise advent calendar this year, quite a disappointment as most of the days are just small little chocolates. Jack is hit an miss if he remembers it.

    I finally heard from my friend in Adelaide and she is okay. I was quite worried about her. Her computer was down for awhile and she struggles with depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear your friend is OK. It has been a tough year for so many people what with viruses and weather.
      It will be interesting to see what Jack does remember of this part of his life.

      Delete
  8. Garden is coming along nicely by the looks of it. When my kids were little ones they loved the advent calendars too. They never forgot a day to open the door, oh! the memories of those Christmases. Some Christlmases were lean on gifts, however, we tried to complete their letter to Santa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memories of Christmas past are always special.

      Delete
  9. I never knew advent calendars growing up, then noticed they were pretty simple, open a little door, see a picture. Now though, whoa Nelly! You need a personal loan to invest in some of them! Every year I forget about them and think oh, next year.

    I made crumpets from a Jack Monroe recipe, great. I have a set of four rings, so I make a small batch. But I realized that these crumpet things were like a relative of the pikelets I grew up with. They were bigger and thinner but very similar. Plenty of holes for butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pikelets here are more like hotcakes in that they aren't yeast based. Anything that holds butter is good.
      You can get gin advent calendars!

      Delete
  10. The Stalker
    We experimented with mini snap peas and we harvested 8! They were delicious though. We have chard and spinach year round and have picked quite a few cos lettuce lately.The weather has been appalling this year in Adelaide too much rain and not enough sun ..Is t it lovely to pick fresh vegetables and you have an amazing variety in your garden .We had an old friend who died a few years ago…she was still planting her own veggies at 91 and she was still walking her dog Joey until she was 94 when he went to heaven, she lived to 101 We were often the recipients of her famous zucchini’s and tomatoes, In return we took her our famous tuna sandwiches and soup It’s lovely to share with others. Good wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I have had great results with peas but this year I am struggling. Or rather, the peas are. I have planted more beans as they seem to do well and will get some more mesclun lettuce seeds.
      You have to share the secret of your famous tuna sandwiches.

      Delete