Saturday, 3 December 2022

Sunny Saturday


This cat is so laid back I was able to smooch him and he didn't even wake up. Look at how relaxed that tail is. It has taken a few months but I think he feels at home with his people. He has long felt at home with his dogs. 



I had a hankering to try my hand at crumpets. They have always seemed a bit like magic but they are in fact, very easy to make. Three sent me his Jamie Oliver recipe and they worked a treat. I won't cook them in the paella dish next time (it was the only cast iron thing I had) and I need to find an oil that has no flavour at all (canola was still a bit too strong). 





I wasn't sure if Himself would like them but he ate 8 of them so I guess the verdict was positive! I still need practice but they are so much nicer than the store bought ones and do have a bit of the "wow look what I made" factor.




Today is our first really warm summery day. Of course, Himself thought it was a good idea to continue working on stripping the paint from the balcony. He then decided to clean the outside light fittings which disintegrated when he touched them so off to Bunnings to buy replacements. 

I have just ordered a couple of dresses online after buying one and liking it. These are the largest sized dresses I have ever had to buy. Something needs to change but I just cannot find the motivation. Even though I hate intensely dislike what I see in the mirror, can't walk 100 metres without getting out of breath and everything hurting, none of my clothes fit properly ... I just can't find the mojo to do anything about it. This is never a good time of year for me so I think I will plan to make some significant changes in January (NOT a new year resolution) and make some lists of things I will do. I like a list.

Now I shall make a list of the ingredients I need to make a Rich Boiled Fruit Cake. I really like Celebration cake but that calls for a lot more butter and eggs and fruit and stuff. I shall try the first and if it works I will give the other a go. The Grand Marnier Fruit Cake sounds divine and you soak the fruit in a syrup made with sugar and orange juice and Grand Marnier for 10 glorious days. Definitely one to try for next winter. (These are all recipes from The Australian Women's Weekly "Best Recipes from the Weekly" which was published in 1984 before we all went silly with our serving sizes and started to eat food that was made in factories).

I do love my old cookbooks. The internet is all well and good but nothing beats the memories of looking at tried and true recipes from times gone by. 

13 comments:

  1. Love old fashioned recipes. I would worry too much about dress sizers the numbers are getting bigger but the actual garments are getting smaller. Very frustrating. You’ll make changes when your ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Angela. I’m on my phone. Still haven’t worked it out

      Delete
    2. Even the dresses from the same company had different measurements for the same sizes. Thank goodness they have the measurements for each garment listed.
      I might have to dig out my old recipe for zucchini slice.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking crumpets for sure. Well done you. I've no idea at how they are made. Himself must expend lots of energy for his food intake.

    Two nights ago I found I had lost 3kg. I think my brain is now 3kg lighter as I can't see 3kg gone from anywhere else.

    I like lists and the ticks off you can make. I try not to be too ambitious.

    My partner still uses recipe books at times for tried and true meals that he can't quite remember. But he often has his tablet propped up on the upper bench top while following an online recipe.

    Too hot today. Air con cooling is on once I remembered how to change it from heat to cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I am really struggling I make a list of the lists I need to make! I have never managed to cook from a screen. I still print the recipe and put it in a folder (if it was a success). Call me Dinosaur.

      Delete
  3. I got crumpet rings and made them last year. I felt so authentic! They were very good. And I have to admit to making poptarts too. Home made junk food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to source some crumpet rings. The recipe called for egg rings but they really weren't deep enough.

      Delete
  4. I literally dream about being thinner almost nightly. I want to be so badly and yet, like you- can't find the mojo.
    Your crumpets are gorgeous! It's really too bad that some of us are such good bakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find home made stuff more satisfying than purchased crap so I eat less. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it!

      Delete
  5. Don’t forget the rule for boiled fruit cake….alcohol preferably the dense kind , lots for the cake itself and a slurp for you ..Wonder how Tia Maria would go .. maybe a little sweet but great for sore throats .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. The recipe calls for sherry. I was going to use brandy. I have some macadamia liqueur. That could be interesting.

      Delete
  6. Those crumpets look very good and if your hubby ate eight of them, I'm guessing they were good.

    Do you swim? I have a stationary bike that I hauled upstairs because I can't walk and I need exercise. I don't like biking but if I put on a good show, I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an aversion to bathing suits. That said, they are making more whale friendly versions that I should investigate and then I can go and do some water based exercise. I used to have an exercise bike but I don't think my knee would appreciate it right now.

      Delete