Thursday, 15 December 2022

Sunset glory

This was the view from the couch last night. They might all seem the same but the clouds and colours were constantly changing.










Three rang at lunch time. Could we pick Sally up from school. Don't have to ask twice, kiddo! The excitement on her face when she saw Grany made my heart sing.

This is how you know your grandchild goes to school in a rural area!


It turned out that Amy had overslept (Three drops Alice at daycare on his way to work and leaves around 7.15). She didn't wake until 8.35. She drops Sally at school at 8.40 and starts work at 9.00! She worked back to make up the time, hence the pick up request. 

When she picked the girl up we talked about school holidays. There will be two weeks when she is back at work so I said we will have Sally as often as is necessary. No need for her to go to school holiday program. 

Pfeffernusse were something I bought for the kids at Christmas. Not for any particular reason although Two loves them. When Three dropped over at the weekend he was full of glee that he had found some - I had no idea they meant something to him, too. So today I decided that I would have a go at making some. I sent Himself off with a list of ingredients. To my surprise we don't have ground cloves in the local supermarkets. He came home with whole cloves and we will try grinding in a pestle and mortar but if that doesn't work I'll pop one in whole with the other spices when I melt the butter and molasses and hope I remember to remove it!

Cloves always remind me of Dad. He hated them because his mother put oil of cloves on his teeth to relieve a toothache! In the same way that it took me a long time to start to like cinnamon after mother made us drink cinnamon oil in milk to prevent colds on the assumption that the girls who worked in the cinnamon factories during WW2 didn't get colds.

So tomorrow I will bake another Christmas cake - this time with whisky - and prepare the dough for the pfeffernusse which should sit in the fridge for a couple of days to let the flavours develop.

I need some netflix suggestions. I watched Merlin and loved it. I then watched the first series of Knightfall (about knights templar) which was ok but series two was leaving me cold. I am now watching Irreverend, a gentle comedy set in beautiful Mission Beach and it is pleasant enough but I want something to get stuck into. Suggestions please. Anything but horror. Blood and gore is ok as long as it isn't gratuitous (which is why I ditched Knightfall).

One day I might post photos of the sunrise but that would mean getting up before ... well ... the sun rises!


16 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about Peff??? whatever. When we lived in Balaclava they were readily available where we bought freshly ground coffee. So nice. I must get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, winter sunrise photos are usually better and generally suit most people better who want to catch sun rise and balloon photos. Of course if you have to get up for the loo at 5am, you might catch the sunrise.

      Delete
    2. They are also called pepper nuts but that sounds a tad painful.
      I shall rely on you for photographic evidence of sunrise.

      Delete
  2. Just finished watching the first series of White Lotus, have no idea if it’s Netflix or what, possibly Binge. Really enjoyed it, funny, dark humour, very easy to watch. The whole of the second series is also available so will watch that next week. Marie,Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that reviewed on the radio. I would love to watch it but I think it is Binge or Foxtel.

      Delete
  3. Wish I had some suggestions for your Netflix watching. I just flit from one thing to another when I do sit down to watch. I seem to watch a lot of documentaries.
    Have fun with your darling girl. And your baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly we didn't have Scallywag for too long as Mum came to collect her and take her to her other grandparents while mum went to the naturopath.
      I shall persevere with Netflix. I do love a good doco so will search for some.

      Delete
  4. Wednesday? I hate cloves! But am interested to see what pfeffernusse looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a look at Wednesday. Will take a closer one.
      The recipe calls for a pinch so the cloves won't be overpowering. Cloves stuck in oranges comes to mind. What were they used for?

      Delete
  5. If you don't like blood and gore, don't watch Santa Clarita Diet. It's funny but very bloody. You might like This Is Us.

    Have a lovely day and thank you for sharing your sunset. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's funny I'll give it a go. We get some lovely sunsets and the couch is in just the right position.

      Delete
  6. Lovely sequence of pictures, thank you. If you have a coffee grinder, you can grind spices and nuts, rice and sugar and all kinds of things in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a coffee grinder (might need to invest in one) but I'll try the old fashioned way.

      Delete
  7. The sunsets and sunrises have been stunning lately.
    We love to see the sunrises at the pool as we swim.
    Yup. We might live right on the outskirts of suburbia, but we are definitely a little rural community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're showing off! You see sunrise AND sunset?
      You live in a lovely place.

      Delete
  8. I can see sunrise and sunset from our place... well that is if I get out of bed early enough. I have no suggestions for Netflix, I can't get into anything much at the moment.

    ReplyDelete