Wednesday, 15 February 2023

Day 8 and home

This is where we sat and had breakfast this morning. Coffee and a doughnut. Look at that glorious sky


The Mermaid fell in love with Lakes Entrance and is talking about moving there. I told Himself that I could live there and he said he always wanted to live there. In the past it was hard as we had aging parents but they have all gone to god now. The new beaut roads mean it's only about 3 and a half hours from Melbourne (ongoing roadworks notwithstanding) so the kids and grandkids could come and stay for a weekend or longer in the school holidays. It is a beautiful place. If all my ducks lined up and the Mermaid sold and moved and we sold and moved it would be brilliant. I am going to book a few days there in April so we can properly look at houses. There is a broad range of prices and quality from the 'oh my giddy aunt' to 'oh hell no'. I think we can find somewhere in the 'oh I can live here' pocket. Until we can see what our budget will actually buy I am not committing to anything. In the meantime we can dream.

We had a drive around and then headed for home. 

We stopped at Yarragon which is a pretty little town on the highway. It has some lovely little knick knack shops and a food shop to tempt the most jaded palates. We had lunch there in the delightful tea rooms.



We completed the trip home discussing the options of moving and the ramifications on family relationships. So far the reactions have been positive.

On the way I got a call from Three to say that Himself had been admitted overnight as he had a stent inserted. This is a good thing as it means whatever was there was relatively new and has been fixed. He feel vindicated over his angst about his chest discomfort. I still think it is more anxiety but then I am a callous bitch when it comes to nursing my family!

Three was here when I got home and we had a good chat. I have spoken to Himself a couple of times and will pick him up tomorrow morning.

We have lots to discuss.

It is now past 10pm and I am, unsurprisingly, rather knackered. It has been a wonderful trip away and I have driven an incredible number of kilometres. The Mermaid and I have laughed and strengthened our already firm friendship. We had many late nights and many glasses of wine. We have shared secrets and solved the problems of the world.

I will do it again in a heartbeat.

But now I am going to bed.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like a life changing trip. Let's see how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a huge decision if we do move. Certainly not one to be taken lightly.

      Delete
  2. What an exciting prospect! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a glorious part of the country and as yet hasn't boomed out of our price range but we would need to act fairly quickly.

      Delete
  3. I am always puzzled by how late night world problem solving and sorting things out, fizzles the next day without fail.

    I'll be the spoiler of great plans for the day. Don't move away from good and nearby medical care as you move into old age. Ok, I've just checked maps and it is not as bad as I imagined with Bairnsdale being just over half an hour away from LE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is always our first consideration. Bairnsdale is an easy drive. There is a large population of retirees in Lakes so something must be working. And it has a nursing home run by the same mob who ran MILs so that's comforting!

      Delete
  4. Always nice to have a dream. Hope yours comes to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about your grandchildren?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would see as much of the NSW lot as we do already. As the Melbourne lot grow and go to school they would come and stay with us in the holidays and for weekends. It is a perfect spot for kids with beaches, bush walks, caves, horse riding and a fabulous ice cream shop that has been there forever!

      Delete
  6. Welcome home.
    Love that little restaurant, hubby and I have drive in all the way there just to have lunch. So cute.
    I’m glad your hubby has had his issues taken care of. And once home he can get back to living his best life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a pretty little town and the shops are lovely.
      Husband needs to learn to slow down!

      Delete