Tuesday, 28 November 2023

I think I'm losing mine.

Apparently the prime minister of Greece and the prime minister of the UK are not going to meet to discuss issues of great importance affecting both countries. It seems that 200 years ago an arrogant Pom stole some Greek marbles and the Greeks want them back. 

To my eternal shame I found out today that these are said marbles ...


not these ...


In building news (trying to change the subject here!) we went up to the block as is our usual habit and found the blokes were there to install the retaining wall. (I use the term "blokes" loosely as I swear they were both 15). Just as well we did because somehow, somewhere someone had got the order mucked up and rather than delivering these ...


...they delivered these ...


Just a slight difference! If it was a small wall we would have let it go but it is costing us nearly $20,000 and we don't want a 1.6m wall of pale grey. 

And no, this wall was not our choice but to build the house we want it has to be installed so there you go. We could have gone with timber but it is a big wall and timber bows and, to be honest, the sleepers themselves aren't that much more expensive. It's the engineering and holes and steel supports that bump up the price.

18 comments:

  1. I’m pretty sure mine marbles have gone through a wormhole and into another universe. I definitely agree your choice is so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well we got there on time to stop them putting them in!

      Delete
  2. Ridiculous isn't it?? The British museum is full of everyone else's relics . They don't want to give them back because they wouldn't have a museum anymore. The issue is with the museum not the PM. But hey ho, it gets brought up at every opportunity .
    The Greeks have a piece of marble to grind and they ain't letting anyone off the hook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much was taken back to the UK during those years of colonialism and early archeology. Have they survived better because they were in a museum? Who knows.

      Delete
  3. It is, to say the least, hard to fathom that the theft of statues 200. years ago is still affecting the politics of the countries involved. But dang- give the statues back!
    Oh, I don't know.
    Yes. You definitely need the retaining wall you paid for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, Mary. At least they haven't been destroyed like other important pieces in other countries. Not saying the Greeks would have but we have lost so much due to political, religious and other vandalism.

      Delete
  4. The Elgin marbles, now plunderwashed as the Parthenon marbles, are a symbol of colonial theft. Yes, they need to go back to the Parthenon asap. Likewise every jewel in the Crown jewels, but don't get me started..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be hard returning a lot of those things, Liz. Although the marbles wouldn't be.

      Delete
  5. I assumed the marbles were.... I feel dumb.
    It's a good choice of material for the retaining wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew. I thought they were large round pieces of stone and couldn't quite understand the angst. Now I do.

      Delete
  6. I only have one marble left and if I shake my head, I can hear it rattle around inside:)

    You should get what you paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh lucky you made a trip to your block!! Reminds me of a fella I worked with, drove to his partial house and noticed that the bricks being laid that day were a different shade to the ones already laid. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a pretty big mistake to me, good thing you went and saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Break down in communication. Too many levels of admin.

      Delete
  9. My marbles are in a crystal decanter on the shelf by the door. They'll never get lost there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't knock the decanter over or you're stuffed!!

      Delete