It hasn't stopped for over two days and we have more in store.
Yesterday I noticed water on the kitchen bench. I then I realised it was coming from the window sill. There were two leaks somewhere in the frame or the ceiling or somewhere.
Then a puddle appeared on the wood stove.
And behind the vertical blinds on another window we discovered this.
This morning when I went down to feed the cats in the bathroom I felt another splash and found that window leaking as well!
I have reported them to the real estate agent but I doubt there is much they can do. It is all down the high winds and heavy rain. If it was my house I'd be doing some repairs - but then again, if it was my house it probably wouldn't have got this bad in the first place. The stains on the window sills suggest this is not the first time this has happened.
Remember the saga of the retaining wall sleepers from Tuesday?
We found out yesterday that the sleepers we chose won't be available until January. They did offer to put the plain grey ones in and paint them but that is not acceptable. It would mean ongoing maintenance we don't want and we want a textured finish. We have said there are a couple of other types we would accept and are waiting to see if they are available. If not, it could be a long wait til January with nothing happening.
The site supervisor said he will try and get engineering to see if we can somehow batter the cut so we can get the slab laid.
This sort of explains what I am talking about ...
... so where the vertical retaining wall needs to go they might be able to put some dirt back from the cut to batter until the sleepers can be installed.
In the mean time I am grateful we were able to get this rental, even if it is a tad damp.







We thought you’d like us to share π. Did you get the gales that came with it? So much damage out our way (eastern suburbs Dandenongs)
ReplyDeleteWhat a bummer about your building materials, you’d think they’d have let you know instead of just trying to palm you off with something else.
Summer begins tomorrow - now there’s something to look forward toπ
It's always windy here! I think the high winds contributed to the water ingress. We have had landslides and trees down and houses flooded. At least this place is on a hill.
DeleteI will believe summer when I see it!!
The woes of building. I hope you get it all fixed soon. And living in a leaky house in the meantime is no fun, sigh.
ReplyDeleteI just keep imagining how much more I will enjoy the new place when it is finally finished!
DeleteOh no! So frustrating when things like this happen. I truly hope that a good alternative is made available.
ReplyDeleteWe are still waiting to hear. If not, it will be a lesson in patience. I would like to think that they will be triple checking everything from heronin as it is going to cost them $$
DeleteI'm very thankful my house doesn't leak like that, and also thankful I don't have to deal with a new build.
ReplyDeleteTo be fair the weather has been very challenging but I am over playing hunt the leak!
DeleteHopefully the worst of the rain weather is now past. And we can all start to dry out
ReplyDeleteThankfully it did stop here. Bring on summer I say. So at least we can dry out our bones. Feeling it these days
At the moment I'd be grateful to be able to put a load of wet towels on the washing line!
DeleteBatter is a new term to me but the drawing explains it well. It has been an out of the ordinary event for you and I would be surprised if others haven't discovered similar leaks under such an assault.
ReplyDeleteI am learning a new language with this build. The Vic Emergency app shows several buildings flooded and trees down. It has been an interesting few days, that's for sure.
DeleteA tad damp? that's more than a tad! Something clearly needs to be done to stop the rot. Damp carpet means rotting floorboards that could possibly give way under you. I hope something can be done engineeringwise so the slab can be poured and after that I hope things progress speedily so you are out of that rental and in your own new home by next winter.
ReplyDeleteMy brother rented an 7th floor apartment for three years while he was in Adelaide for a construction job and one of the windows leaked so there was always a damp spot in the corner of that room, investigations showed all tenants had leaking windows on that south wall and there was no way to fix them, being a sheer wall and no one knew how the wtare was getting in. So my brother refused to pay rent for a room he couldn't use, told the agent who informed the owner and simply paid less with no consequences.