Thursday, 22 February 2007

Don't count on me to help you in an emergency!

Don't you love her smile?

Today I spent on a training day for ensuring our work environment is safe and aggression free. The morning was theory. Apart from the uncomfortable chairs in the lecture theatre it was very interesting. We covered threats from patients and relatives (and other sundry trouble makers!!!) and also bullying and harassment from within the workplace. The person conducting the course had some great stories to illustrate what could have been a very dull morning.

In the afternoon we had the practical side. This involved basic techniques of self defence, how to assess a situation and the best strategy to use (I liked 'run away'). The we looked at ways of restraining a difficult person. We started with two on one which was OK. Then we added another person which meant we could 'take someone down' if needed. And we practiced. On each other. A mate from my unit and I attempted a 'take down' but the 'patient' wouldn't do what we wanted and walked with us. The trainer explained that this happens and explained what to do in the circumstances. So we got more mats out (to break her fall) and did it again.

I think all involved except the 'patient' expected the same scenario. Only this time the 'patient' decided to drop straight away. So her head wasn't caught and her shoulder/upper arm was hurt. On the side that I was in charge of!! She was in pain immediately and taken to ED for a check up. As we were sitting going through the rest of the session my neck, shoulder and upper back started to ache and I had tingling in some of my fingers. I was going to leave it and see how I was in the morning but seeing as it was a potential workplace injury I was a bit concerned. A colleague convinced me to go to ED. The staff there found it most amusing. Some analgesia and a bit of a rest and I was fed up and wanting to go home. I'm still not 100% and my neck and shoulder are still quite sore but buggered if I'm going to hang around ED for the evening. I promised the doctor that if it's worse in the morning I will represent to ED. She offered me the day off but I really don't need it. So I have a workcover certificate stating 'light duties'. Not that we do any heavy lifting in my unit. The 'patient' has some bruising, nothing serious, and has 4 days off work on workcover.

So here I sit. Stiff and sore and sorry for myself and all on my lonesome. Altogether now ... "aahhh".

I'm waiting for Three to get home and he can get takeaway pizza. And I don't think it would be wise for me to play golf on the weekend.

I have to fill out an incident report and will suggest that participants in future courses do not ad lib their roles!!

Himself wasn't exactly filled with compassion. He was more concerned that I nearly didn't get his lotto on! Not really, I just didn't let on that I probably should still be in hospital.

So, Three's just got home and we're going to have pizza and watch crappy tv.

Have a fabulous Friday, folks.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the heading was for me, until I realised you posted it much earlier than when we spoke! lol.
    Sorry to hear you have hurt yourself... hope you pulled up better today... and you should've taken the day off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say that it sounds like a bit of a 3 Stooges routine.

    ReplyDelete