Tuesday, 13 February 2007

Windy
















On sunday night we had gale force winds. These photos don't really show how bad it was but the leaves and branches usually hang limply down.

I am so looking forward to our weekend away. I hope it's a nice place because I would love to make it a regular thing.

Two is filming something for somebody somewhere ... for nothing! But, as he says, he needs to get his face and name out there and this is one way of doing it. Three has gone down to get takeaway Chinese. He complains because I tend to do takeaway with Two more than him. I'm not sure if that's really true but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

A colleague returns to work tomorrow after 6 weeks annual leave. The dynamics of the unit will undoubtably change but at least I know now that it's not all in my mind. Three workmates (who won't be at work tomorrow, mind you) emptied her work trolley of all stock, replaced it with bright yellow kidney dishes (which she hates) filled with stale currant bun and specimen jars filled with diluted apple juice that looks like ... well, use your imagination, extra large gloves (she's an extra small) and covered the drawer with clingfilm. The plastic bag clipped to the side (for rubbish) has had it's bottom removed. Yes, we are very mature.

It's been hot and humid today. Yucko. And the weekend will be in the very high 30s so I'm hoping there will be a sea breeze down on the coast.

Another favourite patient lost his battle over the weekend and there are at least another two long timers whose time is nearly up. So when we get the arrogant, rude, demanding patients it is very hard to continue to be civil. But we do, because we know that everyone handles things differently and we are professionals. But it still makes it damned hard when patients are passively aggressive and/or racist and we had one of each yesterday.

Why do some people treat nurses like shit? We get spoken to like no other profession. The rudeness and unreasonable expectations are unbelievable. We had a patient yesterday who refused to be transferred to the ward at the end of our day until he was good and ready. Even though there was no reason for him not to be transferred and he knew that meant unpaid overtime for the nurse concerned. His comment was she could leave when he was ready for her to leave. I wish I'd known that at the time as he would have been moved to the ward quick smart. Karma kept him on the ward beyond the time of his original anticipated discharge!! He might get home tomorrow. We do tend to take more shit than other professions. Can you imagine a lawyer taking nonsense like that? And I guess we have an image of always being there and being subservient and submissive. BUT THIS HAS TO STOP! We are slowly starting to stand up for ourselves. But the looks we get from some people when we, for example, ask them to move from in front of the drug cupboard/infectious waste bin and washand basin need to be seen to be believed. We are working in very cramped quarters and have signs all over asking relatives to NOT sit with the patient unless it's absolutely necessary (eg to interpret). They can read their magazine in the waiting room, they don't have to sit next to the patient if they are not actively assisting in support or delivery of care.

OK. Enough of my whinge. For everyone of the nasty patients we have 6 who are just fantastic. We just seem to have had rather more of the former over the past couple of days.

But I still love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment