Thankyou, all, for the comments on my previous post. I cannot begin to imagine what that poor family is going through. His mother was on the clerical bank and I don't know if she will be able to face working with us again.
Welcome to my new readers. I always go and have a look at your journals and love finding new places to bookmark. I like writing here cos it helps with my thinking and working things out but it is gratifying to know that other people read it and some even come back for more!!
MizS, LGF decided that she needed to get away (from what, I ask?!) and went to Queensland for a week with a male friend. Just a friend! One never copes well when she's away and suffers from crippling anxiety. He and I had a long conversation on Thursday evening and I suggested that he needed to look at the relationship for a variety of reasons. LGF likes to dress up (the old fart in me sees "tart") and go out partying on her own. She likes to pretend she's single. One doesn't want her to think he's restricting her lifestyle but I told him that he was sending messages that he didn't care what she did and by extension, then didn't care about her. He had had a similar conversation with a mate just before he came home and, surprise, surprise, this mate said exactly the same things I did! I really think One and LGF are way too immature to be as seriously involved as they are. I suggested that it was about time they got a flat but he said she wouldn't leave her family. When I asked if that meant he would be 40 with kids and still living with them he grimaced. If she's not prepared to make the break and move in with him to a proper home then he has to ask himself 'why'. I think that she enjoys the fact that he funds her lifestyle. She was bemoaning her lack of finances and suggested he work a second job. HELL NO!! He works long and hard as it is. He suggested that she get another job (she works one day a week as a dental assistant) but this would not fit in with her lifestyle. She is studying law but shows no real passion for it and One is concerned that she will end up wanting to do another degree which will mean further financial strain on him and more time before they have two incomes.
It's very difficult to see One so miserable. I haven't seen him really happy for a long long time. He has too many responsibilities and she doesn't help him. He cooks for her, tidies their room, drives her around, gives her money ... and she doesn't seem to do anything in return. He is aware that he needs to do something about the relationship but I fear that he will be so overjoyed when she gets back, he will put it all on the back burner ... until she goes away again - and again - and again. I suggested couples counselling. He thought that meant admitting defeat and failure but hopefully he will have a think about it, because as much his friends and I can offer advice, I think a professional will help them so much more. And for the record, his mate is going out with one of LGF's closest friends but is in his 30s and has a lot of experience, maturity and common sense, and doesn't just say what he thinks One wants to hear. He is a lovely bloke and One is very lucky to have him as a friend.
As you can see, I am quite concerned about One!!
Will there ever be a day when I'm not stressing about one of the boys? I doubt it!
Off to hang the washing out, shop for dinner and all the other bits and pieces that need doing.
I think it is lovely that One talks to you so openly. I've often heard that sons are more close-mouthed than daughters, but all 3 of your boys seem very close to you and very willing to discuss their lives.
ReplyDeleteToo bad the weekend ended a bit on a sour note. But the other parts sounded fun! Do you go swimming in the ocean? Are there sharks? There must be. I always hear about sharks in Australian waters.