Thursday, 23 April 2009

Love or laziness?

Yesterday was our 32nd wedding anniversary.  I often say that we are the only original couple I know who are still married after such a long time.  Then I remember that I am Himself's second wife!  He was just a babe when married the first time.  As was she.  They had Stepson, separated when Stepson wasn't quite 2 but remained in touch over the years.  She and I were good friends for a while there and when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer she rang me for advice.  All rather strange to a lot of people.  She and I were very similar in many ways.  Not surprising, really.   Himself was obviously attracted to a certain type of female.  I find it amusing when couples split and then one of them (or, more often, a 'friend' of one of them) gets all offended because he (it's usually the bloke) falls for a carbon copy of the first partner.

We have had our fair share of ups and downs over the years.  We have had some pretty spectacular rows and have considered leaving each other.  But we haven't. We joke that we are too lazy to make the move and I guess there is an element of "better the devil you know" but we are really good friends and I can't imagine my life without him in it.  I guess that's what they mean by "for better or for worse".

How did we spend our wedding anniversary?  We went shopping for furniture for the balcony!  We found some we like and are picking most of it up tomorrow (some still has to come from Queensland).  That meant moving the existing furniture downstairs for Three to use (One has taken the furniture that was downstairs and it looks really good on his balcony).  Today we bought some tubs, dirt and plants for the balcony (herbs and pansies) and will hunt around for the perfect large pots/urns as focal points.  

At the weekend I moved a lot of plants around in the garden and bought 60+ bulbs to plant.  Weather permitting tomorrow I will get them, and the 10 azaleas I also bought, into the ground.  We also bought a grafted lemon/lime tree which is in a lovely deep blue glazed pot on the paving.  It's all coming together.

Tomorrow I also need to do a water change on the fish tank.  I have two buckets of water sitting in the kitchen (as advised by the fish people) and will replace some of the fish tank water with this water.  Sheba had a good drink out of one of the buckets which involved standing on her feline tippy toes.  I don't know what is wrong with the bowls of water we always have around for them.  She prefers the shower, the running tap, pots soaking and any other standing water she can find.  Thank god she hasn't discovered (or can't reach) the toilet!

Himself is just about to dish up dinner (BLTs - yum) and then a good night of telly and some cross stitching.

I think it's love, not laziness that's keeping us together!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the Anniversary.
    Would love to see photos of all the pots, plants, yard, furniture... bla bla bla!

    ReplyDelete