.jpg)
.jpg)
We had a great time at the trivia night last night. We came second. The meal was good (carvery with yummy veges followed by a cheese platter), the company was great and the wine flowed. I'd definitely do that again.
Today we had to be up relatively early cos a rep from the builders was coming to have a look at a few things that Himself is still not happy with. After having to share a bathroom with Three for nearly three weeks I was not prepared to have our shower gutted again. It's a SHOWER for chrissake. So we live with the tiles that are out of alignment by 9 mms over nearly 2 metres. Yes, my husband is a perfectionist and it makes for some interesting times. I wish he was a bit fussier when it came to picking up after himself!!
Then we caught up briefly with the Mermaid before going to the butcher. Our butcher has a rewards card whereby you get goodies for every $60 or so spent. So far this year we have snaffled dip, salt flakes, King Island yoghurt, gourmet soup, ready to cook veges, wine, a kilo of snags and today we got 50% off our bill. 2 eye fillets for roasting, 3 kilos of minced rump, 6 lamb cutlets, 2 pieces of eye fillet steak (steak dianne for dinner ... yum yum), 2 bottles of pinot noir and 2 tubs of dutch jelly babies (he is an interesting butcher!) for $95. Not bad, eh? And we got a new card so we can do it all again. People think we are extravagant with our meat but we have compared the prices with the local supermarket and they are certainly competitive and sometimes even cheaper ... and the quality just doesn't compare.
We are in a recession (only don't tell anyone ... apparently it's a secret the government doesn't want anyone else to know about) and I feel it is my civic duty to do my best to stimulate the economy. Or something. So we went to my favourite shop ("heart" David Jones) and bought a couple of sets of towels (on sale, mind you), a can opener (for Two who told me last week he doesn't own a can opener or a bottle opener so has tins of soup in his cupboard he can't use and a cut on his finger from trying to open a bottle ... kids - sheesh), 3 (count them T.H.R.E.E.) springform tins in different sizes, a baking tray, ceramic pebbles for blind baking and an electric frypan. I had plans to come home and bake a cake using the electric mixer I bought a few weeks ago so I could bake cakes only to find that I didn't have the right tins (see springform tins above).
But.
We decided to drop in on old friends we lost touch with several years ago who now live about 15 minutes away. He was driving out as we arrived and looked at us as if we were something to scrape off the bottom of his shoe until he recognised us. She opened the door with "Jesus, Mary and Joseph"!!! (a catholic upbringing never leaves you!). It was so good to see them again. We didn't stay long but did a quick catch up and exchanged phone numbers (they have an unlisted number which is why we had to drop in) and will make sure they come over for a meal soon. And I feel so good about this. We have a strange history, this friend and me, and one day I'll tell you about it (crazy neighbours, stalkers, house breaking ... ) and we don't see each other for a while and then pick up where we left off. True friendship.
We also went and saw Mother in the rehab hospital. We didn't stay long as the physio arrived and mother wasn't in a mood to do anything so we left to make sure she at least walked and didn't use us as an excuse for not doing anything. She goes home on Monday and I will probably drop in on Tuesday before my night shift.
After we came home I went for a walk down to the beach whilst Himself went to Bunnings (it IS Saturday!!). We really are so fortunate to have such a lovely walk at our doorstep. One day I will take photos for you (I have to find the camera and the connecting leads).
I am now drinking a rather nice Pinot Grigio whilst Himself cooks Steak Dianne. Gotta love that garlic. Cos if you don't you are somewhat screwed!!
One and Ebony looked at apartments to rent. They have found one which they really love. It's in a good area, close to trains, lots of pubs and bottleos (his observation, not mine!), shops and the beach. And is only 13 minutes from us (he checked!). I really hope they get it.
Tomorrow ... DAYLIGHT SAVING ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!. I cannot begin to tell you how much I have looked forward to this. So, after an extra hour we will go and have our final golf lesson in this series. Then back here for lunch (not sure what we will have yet as we missed the deli when we decided to drop in on the old friends and I refuse to buy from the supermarket's deli unless I'm going to cook - as in bacon). Then a game of golf somewhere. Then we will have most of the tribe here for dinner (see huge amount of meat mentioned above!).
All in all, a great recipe for a perfect weekend.
Our Daylight saving ended this weekend too.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a wonderful weekend.