Tuesday, 22 February 2022

The viewing

I take my hat off to the funeral directors. They made Helen look like she was just dozing and would wake at any minute to ask if we wanted anything to eat and to stop fussing.

They took notice of the photos I showed her and my request that she was to have natural makeup. Even her hair looked right. This goes against so many horror stories I have heard where the deceased doesn't look anything like they did in life. (Amy's brother hanged himself from a tree when he was 16 and the funeral director didn't even remove the leaves from his hair).

Brother in law had his time with her. One came along as well and was glad he did. He admitted he couldn't see her in the nursing home as that wasn't how he remembered his Nanna. I assured him that was OK. We had our quiet time with her and then the four of us stood around the casket remembering stuff and laughing as if she was actually there with us. It was perfect.

The cremation was meant to be tomorrow at 9.30 but the doctor still hasn't produced the cause of death notice so at this stage it will on Thursday. It doesn't impact us but it will be nice to know when so we can pause for a moment.

 

later...

Class was good tonight. It was super challenging without an interpreter and my camera wouldn't work so by the time I got on I was debating how much I really want to do this! Fortunately we have an amazing teacher. It would be so much easier face to face but we are managing with zoom. I have joined the facebook page one of the others set up and it's good to debrief and ask questions.

Then I get this from Two ...

"FYI, finally decided it's time for Mads and I to upgrade the Lancer. Was driving girls to daycare and on the way back it just stopped mid journey. Gonna take it to the mechanic tomorrow but think it's time to put it out to pasture"

Me ... It's done bloody well all things considered (I gave it to them as a wedding present in 2016 as I upgraded)

Two "I took a photo. Can you show it to dad, see if he can work out what the issue is?"









Bloody kid! Obviously no one was hurt although all the airbags went off. The white car drove across into his lane in the wet. Both drivers shaken but OK.

And although the reasons weren't the greatest I got to speak to all of my sons today. And for that I am grateful.

8 comments:

  1. The funeral directors are wonderful and you were pleased with their work. Thinking of you at this time.
    My goodness!! glad no one was hurt.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not keen to participate in viewings. I have done so a couple of times and I got nothing from it at all. But I'm glad it was good for you.

    I think I can see the problem with the car. I reckon it could be fixed in a jiffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, it was not my intention but needs must and we were there to support my brother in law. It is certainly not anything I will be putting my hand up for any time soon. I know too much about the procedures to make them look alive.

      Delete
  3. Could have been worse but good no one was hurt. My granddaughter at the moment (she's 14) wants to be a mortuary make-up artist! Seemingly there is a course for that but we hope she will change her mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If her heart is really in it, she could do amazing work. It's not my thing but there is a need for good ones.

      Delete
  4. So scary. The idiots on the road these days are just everywhere
    Glad no one was hurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I felt sick when I saw that even though I knew he was ok. The weather up there is frightful.

      Delete