Thursday, 1 September 2022

First day of Spring.

And just like that, they're sprouting





The above two are peas and below, if you look really carefully, you can see the beginnings of a carrot!



Next Wednesday Aldi have these ...




We already have two of these ....

so it makes sense to buy two of the beds. That will give me heaps of room to grow stuff.

When Sally came home from school we planted out the seed spuds. I am very impressed with the quality, price and speedy delivery of these bags. A family owned Australian company and I will be buying from them again.



 As they grow you top them up with soil. After about 16 weeks (god this gardening lark is a pain for impatient folks like me) I can open a flap at the bottom and harvest baby spuds. When all the foliage has died away you tip everything out and enjoy lots and lots of spuds. That's the idea, anyway.



I bought a new bread tin.




And this is the result. I must say I am a bit pleased with myself.



On a more sobering note, Angela had an unexpected and unwanted visit to Emergency via ambulance. Go read her blog entry and remember that ANY symptoms that could be cardiac related need urgent attention. I have seen too many people not do this because they didn't want to be a nuisance, thought it was indigestion, might have pulled a muscle. As an ex nurse I can tell you we'd rather give you an antacid and send you home pain free than have to tell your loved ones you've had a heart attack and the outcome is iffy. Angela did the right thing. Learn from Angela. 

Aldi's marinated chicken, Aldi potato gratin and beans for dinner. Followed by an Aldi key lime pie. 

Tomorrow I am spending most of it with Amy and Sally and J. We will visit a yarn store, a toy shop and have lunch. 

8 comments:

  1. We have a bread tin like that but why? I don't ever remember making bread from scratch in the oven.
    It will be interesting to hear how your spuds do. We tried once in the 80s.
    I had two trips to The Alfred by ambulance when I had heart issues, one at the end of 2020 and one at the beginning of 2021. The care and the promptness could not have been better. How sweet of an ambo to visit me later to see how I was going.
    You may have heard of the woman who was severely injured after being hit by an Escooter rider. No redress from the Lime bike company as the rider wasn't wearing a helmet and so riding illegally. The injured woman is $12,000 down from medical costs. How can that be with our public health system? At least she didn't start a Go Fund Me campaign, and don't get me started on them if talking about medical care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed strange, Andrew. It is unfair that she should be out of pocket due to someone else's negligence. Go Fund Me in most cases is glorified begging.

      Delete
  2. Ah- your seeds coming up is a joy, isn't it? Gardening can make you practice patience whether you want to or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a thrill to see the little green sprouts. My plan is to get organised so that after the initial wait I will always have something to harvest.

      Delete
  3. I told you they would sprout woo hoo.
    Thank you. Yes I did say to the nurses it was a big embarrassing that it wasn’t a heart attack and they all said what you just did. Much better to be seen and cleared than to die needlessly
    I’m glad I’m still here to see your success sprouting seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you're here, too, Angela. Maybe it was an after effect of Covid.

      Delete
  4. Guess I was the doubting Thomas who thought they’d never get past the starting block. Your patience is something I’m lacking in.
    My dad grew tatties- I’ve never tried. We moved into a brand new house once, garden like tip, builders rubbish etc. Next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Don’t touch the screen until you’re finished Catherine)…..it was a new estate so all the same. Next door got one of those tiller things turned the whole of the garden over tossing stuff to one side as he went….turned it again- planted spuds. Great crop, great garden beds after that - he reckoned they are the best thing for old soil.
      Me - left it to The Golfer to clear a bit here and there then planted pretty flowers.

      Delete