Tuesday, 6 September 2022

Gardening and Centrelink

It has been another lovely spring day. Himself has started the edging for the vege bed. 



These are doing well. From the left capsicum, tomatoes and mesclun lettuces. In between and round about are radishes and carrots planted as seeds so still to show their heads.



On the far right are the strawberries. The first things I planted and they have doubled in size. I will plant the dwarf beans in the empty patch and maybe some pak choy.




This is the end of today's work with half the timber edging laid. We will put geo tex down as a weed retardant and top with black mulch to match the roses. I will be planting in raised beds and pots and maybe the odd plant or two directly in the ground.




While Himself was constructing I was battling with the centrelink site to update our details. We have made a few changes since the in-laws inheritance came through and Mr Centrelink demands to be told. It had been a while since I updated and forgot to change the car details when I upgraded last year. Hopefully Mr Centrelink will take pity on this muddle headed old woman if I have stuffed things up. I am not a stupid person and would hate to be someone where English is not their first language or someone unfamiliar with this sort of thing.

I just have to upload a couple of supporting documents and then I can sit back and hope we don't get the dreaded "you have mail in your mygov inbox"!

I have started trialing different ways of raising seeds. I have used plastic soft drink bottles cut down and have found out they sprout sooner if the lids are left on. I have planted some lettuce seeds in some seedling punnets and put a sheet of glass over to keep them warm and have used a plastic cheese container and takeaway soft drink cups with lids. I will let you know which produces the best results. 

After all that I think this will be me very soon.


4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of trying different sprouting containers. Keep us updated on what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to use stuff that would otherwise be tossed out. At least I'm giving it a second job.

      Delete
  2. I hope you didn't dream while asleep and let out little barks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I took that photo that is exactly what she was doing! I let out ladylike snorts, apparently.

      Delete