Tuesday, 7 March 2023

A bit of gardening.

When I go to bed Jinx is never far behind.




This is my one and only female pumpkin flower.


If you have a look you can see lots of yellow flowers. All of them male. There are a gazillion more flowers about to grow and bloom and they all look like bloody males.



The damn vine really is trying to take over.




I pulled everything out of the vege pod, ripped out the tomatoes and tipped out the soil in the spud beds. This is the result before everything else went into the green bin. Those white things are what were meant to be spring onions. I am sure they will be edible. Not sure what to do with all those green tomatoes. Try to ripen them in the sun? I have lots of carrots and a handful of spuds. I will grow spuds again next year but in different containers. The jury is out on tomatoes.

I planted some carrots, radishes, rocket, pak choi and spinach. I plan on getting some more mesclun lettuce and getting peas into the ground soonish. I will also try my hand at sprouts, caulis, cabbages and broccoli. And of course, herbs. The roses got a bit of a prune. I fear I will lose a few. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe it's the humidity we've had over the past couple of summers but they have been hit with black spot.

Himself went to his cardiac rehab and I came inside to sit down and do a puzzle or two and bang - migraine. I was able to take my meds straight away so once the vision cleared I was just left with the hangover headache and a feeling of fuzziness. 

Dinner tonight is a chicken tagine kit we got from Aldi. Could be great. Could be pizza!!

16 comments:

  1. Don’t give up on tomatoes. This has been a bad year
    Your carrots are great. Mine never grow straight. Potato’s were disappointing this year. I’ll have to think about a different approach. I used to grow them in the ground and I used to get lots.
    I’m sorry about your headache. I hope you nipped it in the bud and it’s gone by tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew my carrots in the vege pod. The soil isn't too dense and there are no stones. I did grow a carrot that had a right angle as it grew around the the shelf. I like the idea of spuds in a container so you can harvest them all but not happy with the ones I used.

      Delete
  2. As Angela says, it's not been great weather for tomato growing. In spite of some fails, at least you are still giving it a go for the next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look up recipes for fried green tomatoes. We love them!
    Beautiful carrots. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can see they are basically sliced and crumbed and fried. I might try it tonight with dinner.

      Delete
  4. You can make wonderful food with green tomatoes, so tangy. Fried, included in curries, chutney, plenty of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to just grow green tomatoes next year. They seem to get eaten as they ripen.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely crop you have. And I love Jinx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinx is such a gentle girl. Unlike her boofhead brother, Murphy, who is such a needy sod.

      Delete
  6. I'll be putting pumpkin seeds in a month. I must google and see if there's something you can do to get female flowers . I had a wonderful harvest of pumpkin leaves last year and little else.
    Green tomato chutney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked again this morning and even more bloody males. If you find out how to coax a female let me know for next year!

      Delete
  7. I have had a lot of success ripening tomatoes doing this. Put them in a brown paper bag with an apple. Close the bag with a clip or clothes pin and store in a cool dark place. Check every few days. They are not as sweet as they would be if in the sun, but they are usable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit like avocadoes. I might try that if I decide against frying them.

      Delete
  8. I just put in some Spring Onion Seeds, my Cherry Tomatoes are going berserk, we've had unseasonal wetness and cooler weather and they seem to really like it. I didn't know the Flower Sexing Thing... LOL... learn something new about my Gourds and Sexing them now. *winks* Jinx looks like a Character and is clearly Hamming for the Camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year I need to work out how to protect my tomatoes from beasties that like to eat them. I was confused why some zucchini flowers bore fruit and others didn't. Now I know!

      Delete