We went and saw the delightful Chris at Centrelink. He was extremely helpful but was still unable to do what was needed because it's not tomorrow yet. We are very lucky to have him on our case as some things have been backlogged for up to six months. This includes people who have applied for the age pension. Just appalling. I don't blame the workers at Centrelink - rather the governments that control the purse strings - and there have been two with no difference in funding. Out of sight, out of mind. Let's throw money at the things that make the news and make us look good.
While we were there Chris went through our applications for the senior health care which is what this is all about. He also made sure the documents I uploaded last September were actioned. It turns out that my identity hadn't been confirmed because, you know, Somalia, not leaving the country since I arrived in 1971, not having a passport, blah blah blah. I always get the anxious feeling they are going to discover I shouldn't actually be here and deport me - but to where? Anyway, I am now apparently identified as far as this particular govt department goes. They paid me a benefit for 7 years so it can't have been too bad although it wouldn't surprise me if they decided they'd made a mistake.
Himself went to Bunnings (because the day ends in Y) and on the way home got a call from the urologist's rooms. It looks like the surgery will go ahead because the surgeon uses a green laser (*google will be implemented shortly). The cardiologist is happy for him to have the surgery as long as he stays on the blood thinners and the urologist himself will call on Monday to assess and give the final go ahead.
Life is just one excitement after the other!
The Aldi chicken Kiev was delicious. From memory they were about $5.50 for two and will definitely be something I keep in the freezer for the days I can't be bothered. I usually have cooked rice in the freezer and always have frozen peas on hand so an easy inexpensive meal ready to whip up in about half an hour.
Tonight we are having pizza because my brain hurts.
*Dr Google to the rescue. Very interesting. It looks to be far less invasive, hospital stay is much shorter so he may come home the day after as predicted, bleeding is next to nothing and the results are pretty much instant.
Your definitely on an adventure with the government agency.
ReplyDeleteAnd doctors, seriously. Get together make a decision and then tell me all about it.
After having Ana all day we had sandwiches for dinner. My head hurts too. From the top of the scull all the way down to my toes
Sandwiches are a great dinner after having grandkids all day.
DeleteR spoke to his sister recently and her husband is scheduled to have the new procedure as an alternative to TURP. Now I understand what it is.
ReplyDeleteR's experience when he applied for the pension at Centrelink traumatised him. For $400 he employed a company to sort it out, no paperwork for him and he judges it as best money ever spent. I think he still pays them and he never has to bother with Centrelink stuff. The same company sorted out Mother's pension after the sale of her house and ABI Brother's carers pension for Mother. I will use the company when I am 67.
C'mon girlfriend. You are as Australian as I am. Get your bit of paper. You can have two passports.
I can't remember where we used to buy supermarket Kievs, or should that be Kyives? They were dry and the filling leaked out into the baking tray. Aldi Kievs are great, tender, juicy and with lots of garlic butter that doesn't leak out while cooking.
Andrew, you have no idea how many times I have sat down to get "that" piece of paper. The system really doesn't like me being born in Somalia. Even yesterday it created a problem. Now I have to fill in forms and make an appointment in town which I will do one day. As I have no desire to travel overseas the passport issue is no longer the driving force.
DeleteI refuse to pay someone else money to do what I should be able to do myself! Especially after negotiating the whole traumatic system getting onto the newstart benefit. I fully understand those who do, though.
I will let you know how the new improved TURP goes. He will only be in overnight.
At some point all of this documentation and red tape will be done with and won't that be a blessing?
ReplyDeleteOnly a couple more hurdles now.
DeleteGovernments, so much red tape, it is amazing how anything gets done. Hope everything is sorted for you soon.
ReplyDeleteGood news for your other half, now he can get his water works and everything else fixed.
It took me a long time to get my Canadian citizenship, took 20 plus years to decide.
Have a great day.
Being a pom I was granted automatic Australian residency when we arrived. Then they changed the rules but I refused to swear allegiance to a monarch I was already behoven to and then they changed that requirement and I just got lazy!
DeleteGood news about your husband's prostate:)
ReplyDeleteI don't look forward to having to do all of this in a year or two. My birth certificate is written on onion paper, in German. Should be interesting.
My birth certificate has Somaliland Protectorate x'd out on a typewriter and Somali Republic typed next to it. Very official looking! Good luck with your red tape.
DeleteA green laser. Interesting! I have never heard of this! Glad you at least made some progress (sort of) on the Centrelink thing.
ReplyDeleteI am feeling more confident. The next hurdle will be when I get my income stream from my super. I will need to inform Centrelink then and although they request you upload the documents via their website, the delightful Chris told us to bring them in to the office or they might sit there for months and not get actioned.
DeleteThe Stalker
ReplyDeleteSomalia …whirling dervishes! …it’s 7.15 am. And I am researching Somalia!
Never had A Kviv….bur we do have 2 makrut trees…..there’s a word you can use in scrabble
So many original names are returning , wonder if the dictionaries are doing additions and subtractions
If you stood for parliament you would have to declare perhaps you are an ex Somalian if you were born there. If elected you could have whirling dervishes at your maiden speech…how wonderfully exotic that would be. Whirling dervishes came to Adelaide a while ago for wonderful performances
Have a great weekend
I think I'd have to be an Australian citizen to stand for parliament!
DeleteI was only 6 weeks old when we left Somalia. I then lived in Sierra Leone (earliest memories). I would have loved to go back to both places but I value living as well.
I have often wondered who decided whirling was a good way to worship a god. I suppose it's not much different to sackcloth, ashes and ritual self flagellation.
I had to look up the makrut tree. We have one but it's name tag has the old name.
I’m getting more confused every time you add another hurdle. Fingers crossed the bar isn’t raised any higher.
ReplyDeleteMe too, Cathy
DeleteMy Daughter always felt she could risk deportation from Mexico at any time whilst living there, which seemed rather ironic, since not many Americans are Illegal Aliens in Mexico, it's the other way around usually. *LOL* She'd had Three Children whilst living there who are by Birth Mexican Nationals with an American Mom and a Mexican National Dad. It's always interesting how various Countries view Immigration Status. I was born in my Mom's Home Country since my Dad was Military and Stationed over there when he met her, then they went back each time she was having a Child so she'd be near her own Family. With being an interracial couple, it was less risky in her Country than here in America in that Era to have a mixed Race Child. She carried a Resident Alien Card her entire stay in America, tho' she made here her Home, she always missed her Country of Origin and her Culture. I think diversity in all Countries is a beneficial thing. The Man spent some time in Australia on R&R during the Vietnam War, he liked it there and the Australian people. He thought the Australian Military were a bit Nuts while In-Country during the War tho', since they only carried Bullets and Foster Beer in their Canteens instead of Water. *LOL*
ReplyDeleteThat's really interesting, Dawn. We really are more multi racial countries these days. I wish more would accept that.
Delete