When Himself had the stent inserted two weeks ago he was started on some pretty serious blood thinners. Any foreign object in the heart can cause the formation of clots which can lead to strokes and further heart issues. He has to take these for a minimum of 6 months and is then on aspirin for the rest of his life.
His TURP instructions state that he is to cease all blood thinners 5 days prior to the op. Not an unusual request as you don't want to exacerbate any potential bleeding.
After numerous calls and emails to the cardiologist's rooms he went there in person. As he was there the nurse received a text from the cardiologist stating in no uncertain terms that he is NOT to stop taking the blood thinners.
The TURP will now be rescheduled for later in the year.
I got a call from a lovely chap at Centrelink about our appointment tomorrow and asking for more information. That's easy. When I had a look at the form we have to fill out to apply for the seniors heath card it is asking all the questions we filled in when first applying for benefits back in 2014. Where were you born - Somalia. Are you a citizen of Australia - no. What Visa are you here under - NFI. It asks you to list every country you have lived in SINCE BIRTH before you arrived in Australia for the final time. Short trips don't count. What's a short trip? I have no idea of my family's movements in my childhood in that amount of detail. I have rough dates. I am sure this will be OK but I am a stickler for filling in forms accurately.
Tomorrow will be interesting.
Himself has bought the oil (except it's not oil cos it's water based) with which to stain the deck. The upside of him not having surgery is that we have time to get things done before we go to Lakes which means if we DO decide to up and go we can get the house on the market more quickly.
Of course, if I could shed this ongoing ennui I could contribute to the process. Even if we don't move, the vege beds need doing over, the roses need a final prune if I am to get a last bloom this summer (whatever that is), the craft room needs sorting, craft needs to be done ... I just sit and feel overwhelmed. But if I try to actually sit and read or knit I get antsy and have to move.
The new grown up scrabble dictionary arrived today (as opposed to the one I bought which was approved for use in schools).
****OFFENSIVE WORDS FOLLOWING. DON'T READ AND THEN COMPLAIN!****
Cunt and fuck are still there. Nigger and Poofter have been removed. I don't feel comfortable having our language sanitised. Education not censorship.
**** YOU MAY NOW READ ON (unless Aldi offends you) ****
Dinner tonight will be an Aldi chicken Kiev (Kyiv?). I will give you the verdict tomorrow.
Well it’s nice the learned doctors got their heads together and decided what to do. Seriously listening to all the experts makes my head hurt sometimes.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with Centrelink. Dealing with them give me more than a headache
I’ve been feeling like you. So much to do. But doing just one thing makes me feel like I need to get up and do something else
One thing a day. I should remember this strategy!
DeleteI too have some conflict with surgery and blood thinners. My cardiologist and urologist will work it out between them, I believe.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe those words should be removed from Scrabble if they were once accepted. I think Scrabble needs to be careful about what words they allow into the future.
If you have been on blood thinners for a while it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's because his stent is brand new he can't come off them just yet.
DeleteI agree with you and Scrabble words. Language changes and meanings change. Some of the new words are just made up twaddle.
Ah, finding a good Hook for the Post Title can always be the hardest part, can't it? *LOL and Winks* Hope Himself will eventually get his medical needs squared away, it can be so complex. I'm supposed to be doing follow-up with a Plastic Surgeon I was referred to and I keep putting it off now. As for the offensive Words, well, I think most people who are grown KNOW how to spell them, so it's just for tittilation that they include them in the dictionary at all IMO. That said, sanitizing language to be PC really isn't a replacement for education and decorum in how one speaks and expresses themselves. I tend to swear a lot more now I'm older, the kids say they never used to hear me use profanity and now it slips out like I can't help myself.
ReplyDeleteExactly, Dawn. The scrabble dictionary is more to tell us if a word is a legit scrabble word. They don't give much of a definition. I always taught my three boys that words are just that but it's how you use them that matters. And don't swear in front of your grandmother!
DeleteIt's so hard for the patient when orders conflict. I hope it gets worked out for him.
ReplyDeleteHis urologist is back from overseas on Monday so we expect a phone call and reschedule but probably not until August at the earliest.
DeleteThe old nun used to say, "Jesus, Mary, Joseph, our father in heaven!" She always said that at a time when I would have said "Oh fuck!" instead. Does the one not speak the same as the other? Folks are really queer I tell you.
ReplyDeleteThis made me laugh. I remember my mother berating my father for saying "damn" in front of us.
DeleteI have to say that cunt is a much more popular word for me since I watched Game of Thrones years ago. Fuck would be my most favorite word, not for scrabble, for life in general:)
ReplyDeleteIt's good that the TURP has been put off for now with the anticioagulants. The one thing I remember about my time on urology was bloody urine with lots of clots. Glad I don't do that anymore.
I have not told him about the bloody urine!!
DeleteCunt is becoming so acceptable there is a bumper sticker for tourism in the Northern Territory that reads CU in the NT
As an American, I am always stunned by the ease with which the English use the C-word. It's about the worst word you can use in the states. (Except perhaps the N-word.) I'm surprised the N-word and Poofter -- which weirdly, as a gay man, I have no problem saying -- aren't in the dictionary at all. But maybe the publishers just don't want to encourage people to use them in a Scrabble game?!)
ReplyDeleteThe blurb says they aren't encouraging hate speech. It's scrabble for gods sake!! I was watching an american show on swearing and the first episode was about the word bitch. I figured if they were going to devote a whole episode on bitch they had a bit of an issue with swearing.
DeleteI have to tell you that the N word is a word that is beyond offensive where I live and I would not use it for all the money in the world. Or all of the scrabble wins either. It IS hate speech in a word and the sooner it disappears from all vocabularies, the better. That's my opinion.
DeleteStalker
ReplyDeleteI hate the C word being used . It is disrespectful to women The F word gets a pass but in writing I can only use the first initial… I cannot bring myself to write the F word in full. think it’s my Methodist upbringing, A great word to use in some conversations….I actually called a Deputy Principal a f… idiot to his face once …. He didn’t report me so I guess he realised he was! The other words you mentioned are so disrespectful and should have disappeared a long time ago
The other words you mentioned in my view should never be used they, are derogatory and cruel
Generally I don’t believe in censorship because you can make your own choices about what you choose to read view watch etc. I think young people need guidance from someone they love and trust though because some topics are sensitive and age inappropriate
I think language and censorship are great discussion topics, we all have differing views and it’s great that you raised the topic and to see the responses from others…
Potato cakes ..I used to love them as a kid in Sydney when the fish and chip shop person used to make them fresh. I loved watching the way they applied the batter to the potato and then drop the into the frying basket …Tomato sauce on top when we took them home!
Yum!
Language will always create discussion and so it should. I feel that the words are not the issue. It is how they are used and people need to be educated about that. I can guarantee that as words are removed for being offensive others will take their place.
DeletePotato cakes are the best!
I wonder how the dictionary is being received in other places. Are there foreign language versions of the same words?
ReplyDeleteIt's just a scrabble dictionary, Cathy, so not sure.
Delete