Wednesday, 1 March 2023

A good day


Last night's dinner was amazing. Way better than takeaway. I am a messy eater, especially with thing like hamburgers (and eggs and pasta and soup and gravy and and and). When Alice was a baby Amy made her some bibs. After a particularly spectacular fail with bacon and eggs I said I needed some, too. She made me three. I wear them when I need to - probably not as often I should if truth be told. I knew last night's dinner would be a challenge so I wore this one ... 



And this was dinner. Home made hamburger with cheese, bacon and onions (and the ubiquitous lettuce and tomato) with potato cakes (or scallops or fritters or whatever they are called in your neck of the woods) and onion rings. So good.


We went to our appointment with centrelink. I still don't know what the issue was but it seems you cannot do ANYTHING in advance. 

On Saturday, when I turn 66 and a half, we will no longer be eligible for our current govt benefits and the cards associated with them which means we will no longer get reduced pharmacy, medical etc. We are eligible to apply for a commonwealth seniors health card but we can't do that until Sunday. And it can take up to 28 days to receive. Anyway, the woman we saw was so helpful and we are going back on Friday with a *gasp* paper form to fill in to apply for the health card as we can't apply on line before Sunday. One of the team working today is working overtime on Sunday and she will enter the details into the system and the team leader has approved everything so hopefully we will have the card by Monday. Confused? I don't blame you. 

It wouldn't be an issue but Himself has a whole lot of stuff booked for next week and we really don't want to have to pay if we don't have to. MRIs ain't cheap.

Lakes Entrance update ... today is a maybe day. We have pretty much decided that unless we win lotto, building is out of the question because of the costs of renting etc during the build. We now have to decide if we are prepared to risk selling here and hoping the right place will come up for sale down there when we are ready to buy. So, yes. Today is definitely a maybe day.

Dinner tonight is BLTs with potato cakes and onion rings. When we were at Aldi getting bacon (they have the BEST bacon and it's not expensive) I bought meals or the makings thereof that will see us through the next 3 nights. Plus there is stuff in the freezer. 

I am over meal planning and eating well at the moment. I know this will pass. A lot has to do with the whole centrelink stuff which is nearly over. 

Several people commented on the scarf I posted about yesterday. For those who are interested here is the link. It is a free pattern on Ravelry. Basically it is a twelve stitch repeat. k5, k2tog, k4, kfb. The pattern calls for 96 stitches but you can make it wider or narrower. Once you get into the rhythm it is very easy. My tip is to put a stitch marker at the end of every repeat so if you stuff up (as I do regularly) you can easily count back to see where. It works beautifully with variegated sock yarns. It is such a good pattern for an inexperienced knitter (as long as you can count!) and the results are beautiful.       

I found my WIP (work in progress for non-crafters). I am using a self striping yarn that is a bit thicker than sock yarn so using 4mm needles. I really should finish it.                                                                                  



I have noticed the blogger gremlin has been sending comments to spam again. I do apologise if you have commented and I haven't replied. I value all your comments and like to respond to them all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   


23 comments:

  1. I love the scarf so I’ll download the pattern and add it to the ever growing list!
    Hubby has been doing the cooking lately. I’ve had digestive issues and I’m completely worn out. Hopefully I’ll be better by Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not good, Angela. Been swimming that contaminated pool, have you?!

      Delete
  2. You're so clever! I can crochet but only the one stitch. I am going to try to teach myself some more this Winter with tutorials on YouTube. LOL@ the bib, love it!!! Trish.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tube taught me to crochet and has helped me immensely with my knitting. Go for it. You will surprise yourself.

      Delete
  3. Heavens to Betsy your red tape sounds as bad as ours in Greece. You go round in circles trying to get it all right.
    I love the bib idea. I got oil stains from the damn octopus on Monday, even though I was being so careful. At least oil comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nightmare. At least the staff at the local centre were lovely. Not that it's easy to see them either. You can no longer just walk in, you need to make an appointment.
      I think bibs should be part of going out for a meal!

      Delete
  4. For years now - much to The Golfer’s annoyance- doesn’t matter where we’re eating (big/small posh/el cheapo) I’ve tucked my napkin in my collar so it covers my front. I’d take a bib but sometimes I’m not carrying a bag big enough (or at all). I’m a bit clap handed sometimes- or can’t find the road to my mouth as my mother would say- so I’d rather be safe than sorry (or having to use Napisan all the time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for the scarf link

      Delete
    2. Napkins aren't what they used to be. They are either too small or made of tissue paper!
      Enjoy the scarf. It's a great easy knit for travelling.

      Delete
  5. Centrelink will back pay you to the date you are entitled but I am not sure about medical costs.
    Whether you do go to LE or not, we've chanced it a couple of times by buying before selling. Your property is very saleable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have ever sold first!
      Centrelink won't owe us anything - more the other way round.

      Delete
  6. I hope the various insurance issues get sorted soon. The idea that you can't do anything ahead is designed to suit the system, not the user.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Liz. It's not as if we were trying to do things months ahead. Only 3 days!!

      Delete
  7. We had hamburgers last night too! With sweet potato fries that I cooked in the air-fryer. Very good.
    Yes! That scarf is definitely worth finishing! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the air fryer. It is great for small amounts. Nothing beats the crispiness you get from hot, hot oil though!

      Delete
  8. Love the colours and the scarf, you should get it finished.
    Red tape sounds bad, make no sense, hope it gets sorted soon.
    My Hubby needs a bib, worse than a child sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had actually done more than I remembered so it won't take me long. After the socks for the aunt, a jumper for the husband and jumpers for 3 of the grandkids!

      Delete
  9. I love that scarf pattern, it's beautiful. As for government forms, bah! Hate em. I hate all forms of bureaucracy (and why does it have to be such a hard word to spell?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very easy pattern. The yarn makes it look more complicated than it is.
      I guess the word reflects the system!

      Delete
  10. Yes, I've noticed comments in spam as well. It's darned annoying.

    I love the bib fabric! So funny! (As is the act of wearing one, but I don't blame you.)

    I AM indeed bewildered by the health care bureaucracy, but I guess all I really need to know is that it's a pain in the neck for you. Sorry about that. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the health care (although that has its challenges) it's the entire social security system and I am trying to get into the aged part of it. It's hard enough being old without being reminded!

      Delete
  11. Hope things get sorted in time. Awful to have to think of paying for essential medical procedures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the MRI that he might have to pay for. The govt has limited GPs requesting them. I think some of them got a bit gung ho. The xray and ultrasound should be bulk billed.

      Delete