Sunday, 18 June 2023

Foxy

 After a night of somewhat broken sleep I decided to lie in bed and read for a bit. The dogs weren't happy with Himself not being here neither were they impressed with the rain. It finally stopped at some point and I opened the door so they could go out for a wee if they wished. They looked at me. "No. I am NOT going downstairs with you into the cold, dark, wet backyard". "But Dad does" "Well Dad isn't here". So they waited a bit longer until their bladders were obviously demanding attention. 

Around 8 am I was sitting at my computer having a cuppa tea when Jinx started growling like there was a dog walking past but without the barking that usually accompanies the growling. Murphy joined in. I got up to show them that was NO dog walking past and what did I see standing on the nature strip on the other side of the road? A bloody great big fox. Stunning animal but they are vermin and vicious killers of wildlife. He stood there for quite a while but when I went to grab my phone he ran into the garden across the road and disappeared.

I know there are foxes around. I have seen dead ones on the side of the road but never have I seen one right outside my house. The mermaid has one that regularly sits on her garage roof.

Foxes and rabbits. Who thought that was a good idea to bring them to Australia? 

The kitchen is nearly packed up. I have just the plates to do which I will do tomorrow. I am leaving enough crockery and cutlery to do us with frequent washing up. 

Himself is talking about doing another run to Kalimna tomorrow. It would be there and back in a day. I have decided to stop reminding him of things that need to be done here. I will be out of action for Wednesday and Thursday and limited on Friday and Saturday and then I am out of here.

He can deal with it.

7 more sleeps. 

14 comments:

  1. We have a couple that roam around here, would rather we didn’t but the rangers say they are difficult to ‘trap’. So many rules & reg.
    Family in uk don’t believe they are vermin, some actually put out food for them! And when I refer to rabbits in the same way they are not too happy with me. “Such sweet looking animals”
    Hope you are looking after that back of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they are fine in the UK but both species have caused untold damage - I wonder if the Brits are aware?
      Funny you should mention my back .....

      Delete
  2. Foxes can look so majestic but as you say, just another introduced pest species to Australia.
    At the rate Himself is going, you won't need a removalist truck. Why bother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't do the run for which I am grateful as the weather is not conducive to a long drive.
      Foxes are beautiful looking animals - just not here.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know fox was an introduced species to Australia. Were they imported to hunt the introduced rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were introduced for the colonials to hunt. They really tried to make Australia a mini England. But with no natural predators they, and the rabbits, bred like ... well rabbits! The damage to local flora and fauna and to the pastoralists trying to farm sheep has been monumental. I can't remember why the rabbit was brought here. Food, maybe?

      Delete
  4. What I know about foxes is that they are cool-looking animals, incredibly smart, and will eat your chickens. Or mine, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do love chooks and other small birds. Nasty beasties.

      Delete
  5. Oh, those British colonizers, exporting all their wildlife to the rest of the planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky buggers they were. Exported their criminals as well.

      Delete
  6. Foxes and rabbits. We’re brought to Australia by the gentry so they could go hunting.
    Stupid people.
    Won’t be long now. You will definitely be gone by the time I come home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now it is illegal to hunt foxes in some areas, I believe.

      Delete
  7. I remember the year we moved when I had just weaned the baby, we packed ALL the crockery etc and on the way to the hotel had to buy a picnic set, and while we waited for the truck to arrive (about three weeks) I wished I hadn't weaned the baby because I was washing up plastic dishes and the baby's bottles in the bathtub each day! That picnic set did come in handy for all future moves though.
    Seven days will pass in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't plan things terribly well sometimes, do we?

      Delete