Tuesday, 3 October 2023

I'm back

Crikey Moses it was a hectic weekend.

I drove up to Melbourne on Thursday. It was a lovely drive and I took a new route to avoid a particularly boring part of the highway. It was so lovely to see One and his lot and spend time with them. We had the opportunity to talk about a lot of things and clear the air and I can't wait to go back and spend time with them all.

He drove me around to show me all the new development in the area (can't believe it's only been 4 months since we left) and we came across this ...


I have no idea what happened. It was a straight stretch of road and good driving conditions. One did comment that if the bloke in white was the driver it might explain things. Yes, I am judging a book by its cover but maybe he was trying to avoid the giraffes and spiders he saw all over the road.

On Friday I went to stay with the Mermaid. We spend a pleasant afternoon sipping prosseco in her garden and making button holes for the fellas in the wedding party. There really wasn't much we could do but my presence kept her calm. 

On Saturday we picked up last minute bits and pieces, loaded up our cars and headed for the hills of the Yarra Valley. We dropped the dress off to the bride along with sandwiches, wine and nibbles to sustain the bridal party through the arduous task of hair and makeup! We then went to our accommodation, changed into our finery and went to set up at the wedding venue.

It was a lovely wedding. So much love and happiness and, of course, many tears were shed. I got to meet the Mermaid's Sydney family and had some really interesting conversations (one of her nephews is quite high up in one of our emergency services and it was fascinating talking to him about fires and the management/prevention thereof). I also got to understand why there is some tension between the Mermaid and her sister. Oh boy, did I get to understand that!!

The food was plentiful and delicious and the wine was flowing. It wasn't a sit down meal but rather lots of platters passed around. I much prefer this way of doing food at a wedding. So much more relaxed. The music was way too loud for me and I spent most of the evening outside looking in which is the best way to enjoy an event, trust me!

This is where the ceremony was held - we decorated the arch thingy (well, her daugher in law took over but we're claiming design rights!)


It is a working vinyard and these are some of the vines just coming into leaf.


The views from my spot outside



It was a full moon

The night wrapped up around 11. There was a bit of a mix up with transport which saw the Mermaid driving members of the grooms family back to their accommodation and her son swapping his taxi for someone else and .... whatever.

We all got to where we had to be and the Mermaid, her son and daughter-in-law and I sat up drinking scotch and talking and laughing until very very late. It was so good to get to know him as an adult and to get to know his wife. We have exchanged phone numbers and we are both on the same page regarding the Mermaid and that makes me happy knowing that he has her best interests at heart. Why wouldn't he? I have always worried he took more after his dad than his mum but that got cleared up in another conversation.

Yes, it was a most productive weekend.

I woke on Sunday morning - the Sunday morning that daylight savings started - with very, very few hours of sleep under my belt (the bed was not comfortable) and losing a precious hour into the mix.

I decided to drive home as much as possible avoiding the freeway. I hate freeway driving but also figured that concentrating would be a good thing.

I picked my route and it was amazing. Through the mountain forests, 


That opened into amazing views of Gippsland


It was so windy. I was dodging bits of trees that had been blown down and was a tad anxious that one might actually come down on me. I was going to take a slightly longer route through the forest but decided to head to Moe and continue the back way home.

Just as well. 

It turns out that fires were breaking out where I was thinking about going. 

They also started on the route that I took home a couple of hours after I passed through. (not sure if the link will work but Aussies will know what I'm talking about).

The smoke haze when I got home was really bad.

Overnight the wind increased (could it really?, yes) and dispersed the smoke for a while.

It was a quiet day yesterday (Monday) and I felt human after a really good sleep.

We took the dogs to the off lead park for a run 



and other than that I did very little. 

Overnight the fires increased and today we have dealt with a lot of smoke






The red tinge gives an idea but I wish I had smell-o-vision. 

A cool change has come through which is good - rain, but bad - wind change. I think things have settled down but seeing as we have only just started October I think we are in for a very challenging fire season. Our first as rural dwellers. And my parents lost everything in the Ash Wednesday fires of 1983  so I am aware of the dangers despite being a new resident.

I can't give you a post about a wedding without a picture of the happy couple. Her dress was amazing. Just so her. And they were so happy it made my heart sing. And her mother cry.



 
I've missed you and I am glad to be back.

22 comments:

  1. Nice to read about your trip. Absolutely love the brides dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful time. And do very happy you made it home safe and sound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignorance is bliss. I was completely unaware until Three rang me when I was in Bairnsdale.

      Delete
  3. There is nothing to say but what an interesting post. Just a great read. Ah, I just clicked on your fire link and it not personal but about the '83 SA fires. It is a vivid memory for me, as we also burned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a busy but satisfying trip. Glad you got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly had a busy trip, glad you had a good time and arrived back home safe and sound. The dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I decided to forgo the brunch as I would have been caught up in the fire areas.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! I want to be friends with that wedding couple!
    Glad you're home and can relax a little after all of that celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That couple, whoever they are, I can't figure that out, look like a lot of fun! It seems to have been a great weekend, despite the bed situation, always a travel hazard. And your route avoiding fires was blessed. We had a lot of smoke for fires hundreds of miles away, the sky dark orange, the air unbreathable, a while back. Since it was forest fires, it smelled strongly like a massive campfire. I hope your air clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bride is the Mermaid's (my oldest friend) daughter. They are a bundle of fun and the wedding reflected this.
      That is exactly what it smells like and it isn't pleasant.

      Delete
  8. They look so happy and her dress is amazing! It looks to have been a very pretty wedding. I hope none of the fires gets out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to the happy couple! I'm glad the wedding went well and I don't blame you for spending part of the time outside. That sounds like a great place to be! Also the scenery on your drive was nice -- well, except for the overturned car. (I'm thinking the guy was texting or otherwise not paying attention and he drifted off the road.) Hope those fires stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, her dress is so lovely and they both look gorgeous....good you had a fun time and arrived home before the bushfires....Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to be home. Also glad it was last weekend as we now have floods!

      Delete