There is a poem that was written over a century ago that is dear to many Australians' hearts. It is My Country by Dorothea Mackellar and while it is not one of my favourites (a bit flowery for me) it does describe this amazing country rather well.
Particularly what we have experienced over the past couple of days.
On Tuesday we had townships being evacuated and residents being told to seek shelter from the fires if they had left it too late. Today we are getting emergency broadcasts telling residents of towns to evacuate or seek higher ground because of the flooding. We had a massive amount of rain dumped which has led to dams having water released which has added to the flood problems.
Yesterday was a stay at home day but I did head out for coffee and had a wonderful few hours with some great women.
We walked the hoonds this morning but it was so windy nobody enjoyed it so we cut it short.
Tomorrow we have someone coming to look at the house as a prospective buyer so I will tidy it up and clean the floors. At least it is at midday so I don't have to get up really early.
After telling us that we couldn't put the aggi pipe pipe in pre build because it would impact the original soil survey and testing, the builders came back today and said in light of the recent rains and the ongoing drainage issue with the block behind us we CAN have it installed as long as it is done by 16th. I have just spoken to the chap who will do it and, yessss, he can do it next week.
When the Mermaid and I came here in Feb I talked about the signs in our motel room regarding crabs. At coffee yesterday we had a new person who has worked as a cleaner for air b'n'bs and motels in Lakes and the stories she had about crabs! She has found them under beds, in cupboards and drawers, IN THE KETTLE, in the shower... I was gobsmacked. It appears to be crabbing season which explains the influx of a certain type of tourist and their numbers on the local jetties and in the water around them. It also explains some interesting finds washed up when we walk the dogs along the sandy parts of the lake. Crab claws and bits of other creatures used as bait in the nets (not live, I hasten to add). I am learning so much since moving here!
The other day we went to the fish shop on the wharf and bought some Thresher Shark. Another learning experience. It was sweet like a gummy shark but the flesh was more like tuna or swordfish. It was delicious and not expensive so we will be having that again. Not sure when though, as the inclement weather means the trawlers don't go out as often.
Building hiccups notwithstanding, I just LOVE living here. The best move we have ever made.
I have mentioned in the past how much I dislike daylight savings but the one plus is that wine o'clock seems to arrive earlier.
Cheers!
Yes a land of extreme contrasts.
ReplyDeleteHopefully you have had all the set backs and now it’s going to be full stem ahead in your build
I am not counting on it but it would be nice!
DeleteThere is an infestation of bed bugs in French accommodation. I'm afraid my mind went elsewhere when I first read crabs.
ReplyDeleteI've never calculated that wine o'clock comes earlier because of daylight saving. Does that mean I can pour a glass at four pm? Nah, I am still doing other very important retirement things then, like checking the calendar for my next medical appointment. The opposite in April will be the long wait for a drink when turn the clock back in autumn.
As a shift worker light and dark meant little to me. I take a lot more notice now.
The best bit was when you worked a nightshift and daylight savings started - you worked an hour less but got paid the same. Twas a bugger at the other end.
DeleteProbably plenty of your crabs here judging by the look of some around here!
In certain parts of North Florida there are signs in motels forbidding ice chests in the rooms and I am sure that's because people bring them in filled with fish they've caught which can be nasty after a day or so. Also instructions not to CLEAN fish in the room. This seems rather self-explanatory to me.
ReplyDeleteI had some friends who went to the beach and collected a few pretty shells and brought them back to their room only to wake up to find that the shells had been inhabited by hermit crabs and had walked all over the place, looking for the beach. Poor things.
I am so glad that you are happy with your move.
I do wonder at the mentality of some people. The smell alone after fishing/crabbing/prawning is disturbing.
DeleteIt sounds as if you have extremes in tourists as well as weather! Crabs in the kettle??
ReplyDeleteMaybe they were trying to cook it.
Deletehusband and sons go fishing in Alaska every fall and say the biggest problem with grizzly bears happens when people clean their fish at the river and leave the entrails, etc, along the bank. When we lived in Perth (western australia), we'd go crabbing in Mandurah every season ... don't like crabs myself but it was a lot of fun for all the kids.
ReplyDeleteOur problem here is people leaving nets and lines which get entangled in our bird life. Very sad. Grizzlies would be worse though!
Delete"I just LOVE living here" is a really great thing to read. It made me happy.
ReplyDeleteThank you, River.
DeleteGood Lord. I can't imagine cooking a crab in a kettle! (Assuming that was the intention...?)
ReplyDelete