Monday, 15 April 2024

Autumn

This is, without doubt, my favourite season of the year.

The chilly mornings, often with a bit of mist or fog. The clear, sunny days where the sun still has a bit of a bite if you stand in it. The still air with a sense of everything slowing down. Woodsmoke, changing colours in the trees (although not as spectacular as the northern hemisphere) and the smells of casseroles and soups wafting from windows.

Today was one such day although the casserole smell was in my house and it has made my mouth water all day! We are looking forward to dinner tonight and I am looking forward to making more of these slow cooks both here and in the new house. I don't know why I haven't made them before in this place as they are easy to prepare, don't heat up the house and don't require the range hood which has gone to god.

This morning I had my history session with U3A. It's as much about the chit chat before hand and we had a good talk about the tragedy in Sydney, the problems that face children adopted from other countries and potential hip replacements. 

This afternoon we took the dogs to the vet. We saw the lovely vet who treated Jinx for her girly problems and she was thrilled to see how well she has done. They both got a good going over and their vaccinations and Jinx got something to treat a bit of a rash and Murphy got some medication to deal with his anxiety. Himself isn't too sure about the latter but I have assured him we will give it a few months and then reassesss. Hopefully things will settle once we have moved but if he has to stay on it to keep him calm and content then so be it. As the vet was explaining about serotonin I put my hand up and she did the same!

Tomorrow is another U3A day although I have withdrawn from the Qigong - I am in too much pain. The teacher rang me to say I could do it sitting down but she didn't seem to get that pain is pain sitting or standing and I don't enjoy the exercises at the moment. As the criminology class is right after Qigong I shall make sure to hobble in with my bright pink walking stick although it won't be an act.

In the afternoon we have an appointment with the landscaper - we got his quote over the weekend. It was a triple scotch quote but not unexpected. Himself started talking about what he could do. NOTHING was my reply. This is why we are paying someone to do it and the odd bit here or there is not going to make that much difference in the overall scheme of things. We can play with the plants but we are NOT playing with the infrastructure. Yes, we will have to dip into our super which is a bit scary but once the house is done we will be able to live quite efficiently. We don't travel. We don't eat out a lot. We don't have expensive hobbies (shush) and we don't have expensive taste in clothes.

The yarn has been dispatched from Denmark but I haven't heard from the loom people. I shall send them an email tomorrow as I haven't had acknowledgment of the purchase other than the Paypal receipt.

Time to stir the casserole and make the house smell even more divine.


14 comments:

  1. That was quite an interesting post. I am sorry as I didn't realise your pain was at a level where you are using a stick.
    I think you are right about the landscaping, but by all means monitor to ensure you like what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a pink stick would make me feel less old but it doesn't

      Delete
  2. We had an absolute corker of a day today - felt good to be alive.
    My crockpot is in use again - once I’ve done all the prep - and initial cooking for some dishes, like to cook onions and brown stewing beef first - it’s off and running. And as you said, fill the house with deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always brown the meat and onions - it's not hard and makes such a difference to the end result.

      Delete
  3. You're sounding good despite the hip. Good for you. I hope your looms get here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a tad worried. I haven't had any communication from the supplier. At least I paid with Paypal so can claim if nothing happens soon.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for knowing when to say enough when it comes to your hip.
    I bet your supper was as delicious as it smelled.
    I'm really glad you've found a vet that takes such good care of your beloved doggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet is just lovely and has a shepherd just like Murphy. Supper was, indeed, delicious.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad Jinx is doing well, and yeah, what's wrong with a doggie antidepressant?

    Bravo for letting the pros do the garden infrastructure! Playing with the plants is the fun part anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to convince he who thinks he is still a young man!

      Delete
  6. I’m so glad the dogs are doing well. Once you are settled in your new home you will be more relaxed and this will pass on to the dogs.
    I can’t wait to see your new home. And I look forward to your yarn purchase from Denmark. I love their yarn and honestly. It’s not that expensive at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have purchased a huuuuuuge amount from them during lock down! In fact, I think you may have inherited some.

      Delete
  7. I really should make more use of my own slow cooker. It's a small one, which gives me two or three serves of whatever I've cooked, but I forget I've got it half the time, it sits in the back of the cupboard feeling all lonely and unwanted when it could be simmering my own soups and casseroles. Shame on me. I'd be letting the landscape people take care of producing a garden too. Why dig and plant when you don't have to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main issue is cost, Riv. I can source plants from friends and discount places but for the landscape people to put them in will be expensive. But we shall see.
      I think the slow cooker needs to be put on a kitchen bench and shown some love.

      Delete