Wednesday, 24 April 2024

Rainbows and cake


It was very hazy yesterday evening. Lots of woodsmoke around and no wind.

It gave the whole place a bit of an eerie feel.





Overnight the wind came up and we had some rain and this was the view this morning.


It is still quite breezy and we have had rain on and off all day and this is the view right now. None of the photos have been touched up or fiddled with so you can see the difference in the light and the colour of the ocean.


It was coffee group today. There were only four of us but still a great way to spend a couple of hours. I bought two slices of ginger fluff sponge for dessert. All their pastries and cakes are made in house and the chef is amazing.

This morning we had the range hood replaced. Now we have a brand new, sparkling clean range hood that won't turn intself on in the middle of the night and refuse to work when we needed it to. Did I mention sparkling clean? Why don't people regularly clean their range hoods and ovens? It has left a gap above the tiles so I guess the owner is going to have to rectify that at some point! This afternoon the odd job bloke came and replaced fittings in taps and stopped a couple of doors from sticking. 

On Monday Himself complained about a sore throat. Yesterday he came down with man flu. Today I have an itchy nose and a sore throat but I can't get sick as I have an appointment to donate blood on Friday. Obviously I will cancel if I do get worse. 

Tomorrow is Anzac Day. I am not sure what it would equate to in other countries as we also observe remembrance day on 11th November. It is so lovely to see young people who have not had their lives touched by war pay their respects at dawn services. I guess it was the first time Australians served in a conflict under their own flag - even if it was fought many miles from home.

Sadly it wasn't the last.

14 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed you don’t get the lurgy.
    We have had rain off and on today and it got real cold too. Brrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skies were similar here a day or so ago. Now it is crisp and cold air.
    You have reminded me that our range hood filters need to go into the dishwasher and a bit of general range hood cleaning. Lol at the owner repairing the gap. What year would that be?
    Didn't you just recently have a cold? Surely not again.
    Fortunately war is fairly easy to explain to children. Why they happen, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just have a cold and I have no idea where Himself would have picked his up from but I am doing my best not to share his germs.
      Dishwashing filters is the only way to get them really clean. Sadly, we don't have a dishwasher.
      What the owner does after we move is up to her but she will find it hard to rent or sell this place without some significant work.

      Delete
  3. The ocean has so many moods, doesn't it? All of them interesting, all of them beautiful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love living so close to the ocean. Every day it is different.

      Delete
  4. I always observe ANZAC day in some way. It's the least I can do to honor kids who crossed the planet to fight a European war and few returned home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful variations in the skies and sea. When I was growing up I had a postage stamp commemorating ANZAC Day, as I recall. I didn't know what it was until many years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly our history is not well taught in other countries whereas we learn a lot about their history!

      Delete
  6. I made a typo in my previous comment and deleted it, then typed up another one. I thought I had hit publish, but obviously not. I think I said your cat is so beautiful and he knows it. Nothing too interesting really, sorry.

    The photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An editing feature in comments would be so helpful.
      Thank you for saying my photos are lovely.

      Delete
  7. I clean the filters in my range hood and once they are out I give the interior and fan blades a bit of a wash, but there's not much room in there for hands, so it's a bit sketchy at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than leaving it for ever and ever until the grease drips into your cooking.

      Delete