Well yesterday turned out to be a very sad day.
First of all I found out from Fave Sis in Law that her brother (who is only in his very early 60s) has been diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. He is angry and in denial and the family are trying to work out what to do, powers of attorney, etc. FSiL and Other Brother are due to head back to Italy in three weeks and she is the go to person in the family even though there are two other siblings who can step up. Their mother is in her late 80s and will be so upset. The brother in question has a son who is about 7 or 8 and an interesting relationship with the boy's mother. A difficult situation for so many people.
Later in the day I found out that a dear friend's son had been involved in a freak accident on a remote property resulting in severe leg and pelvis injuries. Fortunately he was with trained first aiders and they had an emergency beacon which alerted the authorities as there is no phone coverage. His mates kept him warm and still and when the ambos finally got in (about an hour and a half after the accident) they stabilised him and he was transferred via helicopter to hospital. He is still very unwell and surgery keeps being postponed as they find other issues but at least he is alive.
Later still Cathy left a comment on yesterday's post telling me to check out Andrew's blog. His news is heartbreaking and I know that the blogging community will be thinking of him in this awful time and I am sure many of us will have shed tears.
We never know when things will happen. Tell people you love them. Hug them and appreciate every minute you have. If you go bush make sure you have the right emergency equipment - it saves lives. We cannot know what people are going through so let's make kind and understanding our default behaviour.
It is heartbreaking when sickness and accidents happen.
ReplyDeleteYes you never know what is around the corner. Make every day count.
Hugs to you all
We waste too much time worrying about the might have beens. We need to seize the day.
DeleteSuch a chronicle of sad news. Prayers and good vibes all round. I was very shocked by the suddenness of Andrew's loss.
ReplyDeleteI think there are people all around the world feeling for Andrew.
DeleteWe absolutely never know.
ReplyDeleteAnd yet we behave as if we are immortal
DeleteI was gobsmacked by Andrew's news. You're right -- we really never know. Seize the moment.
ReplyDeleteSuch a shock.
DeleteDementia is my biggest fear. There is no shortage of suffering in the world.
ReplyDeleteIt is an awful disease.
DeleteMy brother worked in remote areas all his life which is why I always donate to the Royal Flying Doctors, if anything happens to him way out in the middle of nowhere I know there will be help on the way. I have been crying for Andrew.
ReplyDeleteIs that the same sort of dementia Bruce Willis was diagnosed with?
I've never read Andrew's blog but just checked out his latest post. Just so sad and you are right, you just never know what is around the corner.
ReplyDelete