Monday, 8 April 2024

This and that

I will try writing bits and pieces through the day and then hitting publish at the end. We shall see if that makes things easier.

HImself has taken the dogs up to the block for their walk. I wonder if he will run into CW. When I had another look at the messages she sent yesterday it was as if we had come in at the middle of a conversation. She must talk a lot in her head. It can't be fun in there.

Later ... well CW did her thing of following Himself around when he was walking the dogs. I guess she is back into defending her property from us. Apparently we have copied her interior as well as her exterior. As I have no idea what her interior is like (and couldn't care less) I wonder if she has been peering into our windows!

The aunt rang. She was feeling very lonely and miserable. Tomorrow is her 55th wedding anniversary but her husband died 27 years ago and she still misses him terribly. She was also worried she might be getting dementia because she forgets things. I told her I forget things at 67 so at 92 she's not doing too badly. I made her laugh a bit and she went off to make herself a tuna sandwich for lunch at my suggestion. I wish she was closer but it is too far and too expensive to just pop up to see her. It would take two days of travel to get there from here.

While I was on the phone Himself took himself off to the Shed. He has been gone nearly 3 hours. I will take this as a good thing.

When I last stayed with One he introduced me to Broadcastify. If I get an alert on the vicemergency app or hear the siren go for the local volunteer firebrigade I listen in to the local area and can hear what's going on. Quite interesting and, I would imagine, quite valuable if something serious was happening. 

My parents lost everything in the Ash Wednesday bush fires in 1983. They were lucky they didn't lose their lives. Mum had gone outside to put something in the car and heard a call to evacuate from the end of the street. The whole thing was poorly managed and nobody seemed to be prepared or know what to do. We learned a lot from that but, sadly, not enough to prevent the shocking loss of life and property in the Black Saturday fires in 2009. Finally, with technology, we are getting more warnings and there is the ability to target people and areas more specifically. We live in a bush fire prone country and there is always the threat and worry of another big one (like 2019 which burned for weeks). More and more people are moving to country areas (like us) and newcomers need to have a fire managment plan. Also the greenies need to pull their heads in and stop hindering the various efforts to reduce the fuel load in fire prone areas. Very few seem to live in the areas and aren't well thought of but they do have the power of keyboard warriors from the safe inner suburban dwellings.

I have spent way to much time faffing around on the computer so will go and make a cup of tea and do something a bit more productive.

Later still ... Himself had a lovely time at the Shed. I wasted an afternoon. I was going to fiddle around with knitting but couldn't find the mojo. We went to the shops then up to the block. The site supervisor rang to say there was a hitch with the bathroom cabinets. The installer wasn't happy with the quality and wouldn't put them in. Can't complain about that. We are still ahead of schedule and the painting is steaming ahead.

I looked at a youtube on how to power up the new phone. I don't want to transfer data from one phone to the other. I want to treat it as a virgin phone so will have to transfer my contacts across one by one. A good opportunity to cull. 

So how did the wittering through the day go? Not sure that it made me any more erudite but at least it got fingers to keyboard and brain cells sputtering into life.

Butter chicken from a packet for dinner. Nothing like the curry I had last Friday but I fancied rice and spice.

15 comments:

  1. The bush fires over there were horrific. I remember well the fires you mentioned and have been through the area of the 2009 fires when we visited in 2011. Nice to see you posting again - I don't read many blogs so it's nice see how you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back. I hate the very thought of bushfires and have several family members living in the Adelaide Hills areas. They all have evacuation plans and a place to run to if necessary.
    You can buy Butter Chicken sauce in jars, I think it's the Kan-Tong brand and it's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite jar is Pataks but the one I used yesterday was Passage to India which is a sauce in a packet. I love Kan Tong for Chinese dishes.
      Every so often the powers that be run information sessions on what to do in a bush fire. I will attend the next one as I really have no idea - neither did many in 2009 who had made the tree change and died.

      Delete
  3. My youngest brother moved to Cockatoo shortly after the '83 fires. I hoped to myself that lightening didn't strike twice.
    Tradies seem so different now to what they were in the past; unreliable, near enough is good enough, I know what I am doing and I don't need to talk about it with client. While I am better at complaining after the event, R is much better at immediately not accepting bad work. I've save the Broadcastify site for a later investigation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people moved to Cockatoo in '83
      Apparently the person who built the cabinet was learning and the screws were the wrong size or something. It was great that the installer picked it up to avoid a replacement down the track.
      Himself is like R.

      Delete
  4. I think Crazy lady has a few kangaroos in her top paddock
    I like the post. It’s like I lived the day with you
    Be gentle with yourself you have a lot going on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly has something going on in that paddock!!
      Thanks, Angela. Look after yourself, too. x

      Delete
  5. It's good you're blogging again, despite feeling unsettled. I wouldn't say computer time is wasted. Maybe that's because I do a lot of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn a lot of stuff I didn't know and probably didn't need to know with my computer rabbit holes!

      Delete
  6. I hope you know that I truly enjoy hearing about where you live and what your days are like. Thank you for sharing these things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cw is stalking....call the police ?...it is ridiculous...otherwise everything else sounds good.....Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Police are aware but we really don't want to escalate if we can help it. We will live in the same area after all.

      Delete
  8. I wondered what was happening with the crazy neighbor! Such a strange situation.

    ReplyDelete