Friday, 26 April 2024

Tired

It's been a big day doing very little!

I gave my pint of blood (or whatever it is these days) and collected Murphy's meds from the vet. 

Usually I breeze through the whole process but today I struck someone who was very thorough to the point that she didn't want my blood if I might have a hip replacement within 3 months. I know you can't donate for 6 months after but I'd never heard about the pre surgery restrictions. We agreed I would discuss with the surgeon. Of course after all that my blood pressure was through the roof so that meant further delay until it came down!

The vet had given me a prescription but no tablets so that was another hurdle. I came home with both.

Himself is at the stage of his cold where if he was a child he'd be grizzling. Getting better but still not 100%.

I put my cloud photo from yesterday on the local Facebook page and it's received well over 150 likes. I'm a bit chuffed.

I think it will be an early night tonight.


18 comments:

  1. You're a good guy, being a blood donor. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having seen how it's needed and the difference it makes it's a no brainer, really.

      Delete
  2. I donated blood once. Apparently my veins aren't very big and they asked me not to come back. Ouch.

    That's a beautiful photo of the sun through the clouds in your last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everybody can which is why it is so important that those who can, do.

      Delete
  3. Off topic but you must go look at Andrew’s blog. He has some sad news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I wouldn't have seen it til tomorrow. How terribly sad.

      Delete
  4. Well that's a lot of activity for one day! It sounds like your phlebotomist (or nurse, or whatever) was being very thorough. I've never heard of pre-surgical restrictions either, at least not this far out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the blood bank employs nurses but they all have different levels of experience. Mine was ex-oncology like me but a bit over the top for my liking!

      Delete
  5. I guess they want you to have all the blood you can have when you go into surgery. Three months ahead does seem a bit overcautious though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been asked about planned surgery, only past. I think she was a bit too conscientious.

      Delete
  6. I’m a whole blood donor sparkling, think I’m 160 something, it’s the only voluntary thing I do, so no big deal. I get what you’re saying though, I’m too scared to tell them if I fart these days, so many rules!! I’m due to donate on Monday week, but am in Italy at the minute, so imagine I’ll have to jump through some hoops. Marie, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of questions for you, Marie! As long as you answer no to the sex and drugs you should be OK.

      Delete
  7. One of my first blood donor sessions was at work not long after I had started. I was next in the queue to the divisional manager, and he greeted me with "see what kind of company you've joined - we even take your blood!".
    As an "O" Negative I was always in demand for donor sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Company donating sessions are a great idea. O neg ... you would be very popular.

      Delete
  8. I don’t understand the no blood before op. Maybe she was worried you’ll need it more than someone else.
    Yes it’s the little things that pile up during the day that exhausts us. And sends our anxiety through the roof.
    Relax and rest you have earned it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of it. I wouldn't donate if I was going for surgery the next day but three months?

      Delete
  9. I no longer donate after a couple of fainting episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you did while you could and that's all that matters.

      Delete