I am finding the whole posting photos here a bit of a pain. With OD I could place the photos where I wanted them but I'm not having much success here.
Anyway. The bottom photo was taken at the Entrance itself. From one of the two concrete piers that stick out into the ocean and create a permanent entrance. The colours of the water are amazing and I just loved seeing two little tackers fishing and having a wonderful time ... even if they only caught tiddlers.
When white men first came to the area the lakes were fresh water and the entrance shifted according to the tides. White men decided that a permanent entrance would allow fishermen to access the sanctuary of the lakes but still be able to fish the abundant waters of Bass Straight. The entrance was built and the lakes are now salt water.
I am not in a position to pontificate on the wisdom of this decision. There is a lucrative fishing industry and a glorious lake system which teems with wild life.
Would I suggest the entrance never be built? Not my call. Is there evidence of irrevocable damage to the ecosystem? Don't know but the current ecosystem appears to be very healthy. Would I recommend a similar action today? Absolutely not. What was done 100+ years ago was done with the best intention and in a relatively small area.
These days we seem to make environmental decisions that have global impact to benefit people who don't rely on the areas in question for their survival.
I love Lakes' Entrance and I hope it remains a unique example of engineering expertise of the late 19th/early 20th centuries. And I hope we never tamper with nature like this again.
And I realise that we will continue to fiddle with nature to suit our own short sighted ends.
Our arrogance as a species never ceases to surprise and sadden.
I've never seen a black swan. They are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat? Human beings? Arrogant? Why on Earth would you say that?
Swans scare the crap out of me! Growing up in Ballarat, I have many a memory of being attacked by the swans at Lake Wendouree...particularly just after the cygnets have hatched..they are very protective of their young (aren't we all??). Many a resident has made the mistake of walking between a mother and her young...yikes...I shiver just thinking about it. lol.
ReplyDeletePics are lovely...especially like the last one.