Saturday, 26 February 2022

Secrets

I wasn't going to post anything today cos, well, I had nothing to say.

I went to craft this morning and it was a lovely smaller group. Sock lady was there and showed me how to move on - I have knitted a whole centimetre!

I went to pick up my new glasses that were meant to make it easier for me to use the computer doing my zoom classes only to find they had used the wrong strength. I could see distance perfectly but 12" in front of my nose was a blur. Another 2 or 3 weeks and I should be right. I hope so because I had a doozy of a migraine last evening and they often are triggered by neck compression.

Himself and Three went to a car show and Sally ended up staying here with me which was fine.

We had a lovely time and ended up watching telly as she ate ice-cream and biscuits. I started down the whole "what happens at granny's" route. And the "don't tell mummy you had ice cream before dinner" thing. 

Then pulled myself up and tried to explain the difference between secrets between granny and sally and other people. Dug myself into a hole I struggled to get out of.

Now, I remember secrets between grandparents and grandchildren as being something special and I think that's what we have. Lollies, ice cream, staying up late, chocolate for breakfast. That sort of thing.

But in the current environment of child grooming and abuse I am so confused.

I hate having to second guess myself and I think children need the whole secrets thing. It makes life magical. But how do you explain good secrets and bad secrets. 

Some say there should be no secrets and I think that is sad.

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you secrets for children are so magical! Anyhow secrets between Grandparents and grandchildren are special! At least that is what I have always told myself and my only grandchild. Other than that nowadays I class it as giving advice and my opinion especially as my grandchild is now 21 years old. I so regret how the years have whizzed by and I could have had had spent so much more time with such a very loving granddaughter. I miss her butterfly kisses. Now she is understandably so tied up with her job and her fiance ... sigh! Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the genuine delight in her face when she sees us and her love of spending time with us. I love her hugs.

      Delete
  2. Those special days are precious, all of my grands are now married or busy with higher educations. How did that time go by so fast.
    Now I have great grands, however, Covid has put an abrupt end to much contact with them. Missed those early years of their lives........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid has so much more to answer for than sickness and death. I feel so sad for those covid kids who have missed out on so much grandparental love.

      Delete
  3. I just tell the parents that grandma is supposed to spoil grandchildren
    And if they don’t want grandma to spoil grandchildren then grandma can’t baby sit
    They know I won’t go overboard but ice cream before dinner once in a blue moon isn’t going to hurt anyone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are cool with spoiling the grandkids. I was more concerned about telling Sally to keep a secret from her parents. I shall think on this one some more.

      Delete
  4. That's not something I've ever thought about and yes, I can see a problem. Does everything have to spoilt by fear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear, Andrew, and political correctness gone crazy. And helicopter parents. And Parent shaming. I could go on!!

      Delete
  5. No question, there is a special bond between Grandma and her grandkids. I do remember a few times I had to make them promise to keep quiet about our special treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I shall make it a "what happens at Granny's" rather than a secret. I think I get as much as a kick out of spoiling her as she does!

      Delete