Thursday, 17 February 2022

You can thank me now

After living without a working air conditioning unit in our bedroom pretty much since we moved here in 2017, we finally got around to getting it fixed. I can guarantee our run of hot nights is now over. Probably permanently or at least until it breaks down again. It is an old appliance.

Need rain? I'll wash my car (which actually means I'll get Himself to wash my car).

Don't want rain? I'll buy a new umbrella.

Don't want to attend a wedding? Snap lockdown.

Do not underestimate the power of wishful thinking.

My sister-in-law was lamenting her up coming visit to Italy. My brother loves Italy and would live there all the time if he could. They bought a run down, freezing cold/stinking hot (depending on the season) ancient (and I mean ancient - not just a bit old) apartment in a picturesque town in the middle of Italy a few years ago. They used to go there a couple of times a year. She was not particularly enamoured of the idea but went along to keep the peace. We were having lunch one day and she said she really didn't want to go that year. That year was 2020. China had nothing to do with Covid. It was my sister-in-law and her extreme lack of enthusiasm about her trip. 

They are booked to head off in April. I have told her to suck it up. The world can't cope with another one of her hissy fits!



6 comments:

  1. Some may be very envious of your sister in law's stay in a picturesque Italian town. Can't you tag along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother has been trying to get me there for ages but I don't have a passport nor citizenship. It will be easier to get the latter but because of where I was born (Somalia) and my lack of border movement since arriving here in '71 it's a bloody nightmare. Add to that the cost, travel in these Covid times and other things I think I will live vicariously through his blog and emails. Sister in law doesn't mind visiting Italy but brother insists on staying for months on end and she misses home and has some serious health issues that she worries about manifesting whilst over there.

      Delete
    2. All very understandable.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are going to be nice and cool, a good night's sleep is important.
    I love to travel.
    Obviously your brother has no problem travelling, was he also born in Somalia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were dropped wherever my parents happened to be (my father was in the British Colonial Service). I was Somalia, next was England (on leave from Sierra Leone) and then Hong Kong.

      Delete
  3. I also love Italy and would be there in a shot if invited but I realize it's a long way from Aussie land (not so far from Canada but still a bit of a hike). We still can't travel without a lot of inconvenience so I am staying put for the time being.

    ReplyDelete