Tuesday, 26 July 2022

Paranoia

 I caught up with J today. She knows the person I saw yesterday and I trust her opinion and her confidentiality.

We came to the conclusion that this person (R) is suffering from some sort of paranoia. She believes her delusions and that is what makes her so believable - until she isn't.

She thinks there are people following her everywhere. There are people who spend all day in various places just waiting for her like the carpark at the walking track. She sees these people every time she goes there so they must be stalking her. There is a bloke who has coffee at a local cafe at the same time every day. He's waiting for her. Her anger, fear and frustration are palpable and downright scary. 

She has targeted one of the women in our craft group as a spy for the neighbour she is convinced is behind all this and is going to call her on it one day soon. I am at a loss. I feel I should tell someone but whom do I tell? If I tell the women in the group they will either laugh at her or call her out and I will be in the shit because I told them. I do not want R targeting me. She was adamant that I was somewhere she was when I wasn't and wouldn't believe me until I insisted it wasn't possible and then it became someone else from the group. 

I have decided to take a biiiiiiig step back from the craft group which I was planning to do anyway as it has become very small and cliquey. If the manure hits the fan I may not even hear about it and that could only be a good thing. I just cannot have anything more to do with R and kick myself for being so friendly towards her. I felt bad because others were cruel so I offered the hand of friendship and by crikey I wish I hadn't. I am a sucker for the underdog. 

I feel so sorry for R as it must be horrible to live with the constant feeling you are being stalked, watched and followed. 

I can only hope that those who know her and care for her (and I fear there are few of them) can intervene and get her the help she needs.

I don't believe she is a threat to herself or others, just to clarify. If I did I would have to think of something. Her threats are of a legal nature and I doubt anyone would take her seriously.

Dinner tonight is homemade tomato soup with Ikea meat balls and homemade bread rolls. I need focus on something other than the craziness that is R.


10 comments:

  1. Dinner sounds yummy
    I’m glad your out of all the drama, and potential drama.
    Life is complicated enough without inviting other peoples stuff in as well
    I do hope that there is someone close to her that can get her some help
    Hope your staying nice and warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never invite other's drama - it finds me! Maybe I do by being friendly, I don't know, but I was burnt this time round. Dinner was yum and I am warm, thanks, Angela. Hope you're on the mend.

      Delete
  2. That poor woman. Mental illness sucks and of course it feels real to her. There is nothing you can do, it's up to her but she can't see that. I wonder how long she has been like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling this is not new but I think she is having an exacerbation of symptoms. She is obviously medicated (saliva - you will know what I mean) but I'm not sure for what.

      Delete
    2. Usually those are anitpsychotics that cause that. Poor lady.

      Delete
  3. As Elsa sang, Let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I would like your bread rolls with a meal.

      Delete
    2. I am, Andrew, I am. But it really caught me by surprise! I must say my bread rolls are pretty good.

      Delete
  4. My grandmother became paranoid and would look out the window and say it was spies or police etc. It turns out she was a secret alcoholic and had to go to a mental hospital to recover. After that she lived with us so no chance of a drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad when older people get paranoid. My 91 year old aunt is very suspicious but then she has always been a bit strange!

      Delete