Saturday, 23 July 2022

The doghouse is getting a bit crowded

Himself decided to spend a lot of time and money grassing the backyard to repair the grass the dogs had obliterated and the dogs are now repeating the process with the new grass and won't accept that a bright orange safety fence means keep out.

I know I have mentioned this before but every time it happens you'd think it was the first time and someone gets really angry and the dogs try to hide behind me which makes getting dressed difficult.

I have a camera. I have had it since 2013 when Two was working for Michael's Cameras and was about to leave to go overseas. It's nothing fancy - a Canon 600D and I haven't used it for years. The bloody animals must have heard me thinking that I really should start using it again because this morning when I got up it, and my two extra lenses, were lying in the middle of the floor. The case everything was in had been dragged off the shelf (granted a bottom shelf but it has been there forever) and given a bit of a chew. One lens has some minor tooth marks and the screen had been licked. I need a new battery and stuff so I can't really check to see if it's OK but I'm guessing hoping it will be. I'm thinking the cat (only one would do this - Max, I'm looking at you) dragged the strap and the dogs did the rest. There was a very chewed piece of black plastic and I was frantically trying to work out its origin when Himself told me it was a comb. The very comb that I used yesterday to comb a reluctant and mightily pissed off Max. "Here dogs, have this as well".

That didn't help the atmosphere in the house this morning.

It was One, Ebs and Lily's birthdays in the past two weeks. We went to L'arte this morning so I could buy presents for the adults. A delicious scented candle and some bath salts - candle for him and bath salts for her or whatever. I'll chuck a bottle of red wine in as well. I was chatting to the owner/florist about craft things and Covid and tiredness and stuff and she gave me a jar of bath salts as a gift for me. And she gave me a very decent staff discount on the stuff I bought. She is a lovely, lovely person. 

We then went to K-Mart at Cranbourne to buy Lily a present. I cannot believe that people actually eat in the food court there. There are other options that don't have food sitting in a bain marie for hours on end. Ew.

I called Ebs to find out if Lily had a particular Barbie and they were at Lily's birthday party at a play centre. I am damn sure that all the kids on her side of the family will have been there but Sally didn't get invited. Lily will be invited to Sally's party in October. Once again I am reminded of the hierarchy of family politics and how low this side sits.

We trotted back to the car with Gymnast Barbie only to remember that the main reason we wanted to go to K-Mart was to buy a booster seat for my car as Sally has well outgrown the one we bought when she was born (suits birth to 4 years - she's about to turn 6). Bad grandparents!  Back we went through the food court, past all the people 3 deep at the food counters, trying not to trip over meandering idiots who don't know how to walk in a straight line and purchased a booster seat. 

I do not like shopping centres and I particularly loathe Cranbourne. But it's close, parking is free and it has K-Mart. 

Tomorrow I plan to stay home and work out how to animal proof my life craft room.

7 comments:

  1. I really don’t like adults that use children in their squabbles
    Cranbourne is great when we get there. Usually around eight in the morning. Not many people there at all. We go in do our thing and get out I hope your doggies are very contrite and promise to not do anything bad again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't clear, Angela. There is no squabble. Just one side of the family taking precedence over another. I should take a leaf out of your book but that would mean getting up earlier!

      Delete
  2. I used to say to R if we are deficient of something, we can stop off at the Cranbourne shopping centre on the way for a few years to Tooradin. It is nightmare, although not quite up there with Chadstone.

    If the greats travel in our car, I depend on the kindness of their parents to secure car seats and boosters. "Your kids, you look after them in our car."

    We are down your way tomorrow, to the Baxter Community Hall for Little L's third birthday, first time Mother will see her twin great grandsons and we will see Ex Sis in Law's Husband's daughter's new baby. I see mental exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Tooradin. And KooWeeRup.
      I haven't been to Chadstone for nearly 10 years and have no plans to any time soon.
      Because we have looked after Sally since she was a wee tacker and her parents aren't flush with cash it's easier for us to get a seat. The old one can now be used if we need to transport Alice and Sally will have a nice big chair to sit in. Only cost us $89. We're not going to spend hundreds.
      You will need a cuppa tea, a bex and a good lie down after your birthday endeavours.

      Delete
    2. Cuppa and bex are covered by a couple of glasses of Dan's not quite best quality fermented grape juice.

      Delete
  3. I admire your restraint, in not killing your animals:)

    That's sad that one cousin wasn't invited to the party, which reminds me, I need to pick up a barbie doll today too.

    Does clover grow in Australia? That might live through the dogs running on it better. I'm starting to plant clover in my back yard; it's drought tolerant and dog pee doesn't kill it.

    Hope your day gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a family division thing, Pixie. I mentioned it to Three this morning and he didn't seem too stressed. We can get the girls together another time.
      I will look into clover although I think many consider it a lawn weed here. Australians can be very precious about their lawns which is a joke considering how much water they need and how little of it we have.

      Delete