When Two and Three were very young, around the mid-'90s, they went to dance lessons. Every Saturday I would drive them to the church hall about 30 minutes away.
One day a voice from the back seat pipes up "Mum, what does homosexual mean?" Thus ensued an age appropriate explanation which seemed to satisfy and the journey continued.
This morning Three rang to tell me that on the way to Sally's dance class she piped up "Daddy, where did the earth come from". He explained in an age appropriate way describing the true scientific most plausible theory (clouds of gas and meteors and stuff). She replied that a friend from school told her that The God made the earth so daddy tried to explain how different people believe different things and that is ok but no one can tell you what to believe. She then said she'd like to believe in The God and learn to pray. Having just told her no one can tell you what to believe Three had somewhat stymied himself.
I think I had the easier conversation.
After I had dropped the boys off I would drive to the local Maccas and get a bacon and egg mcmuffin, a hash brown and a coffee and then sit in the park for an hour of me time. Three has the exact same ritual on his Saturday mornings right down to the menu.
I felt re-connected all the way back to those days in the mid-90s.
Our local shopping centre used to have a Target Country (like a normal Target but on a smaller scale). In 2020-21 they closed which was a shame but understandable with larger shopping centres expanding close by. The large space sat vacant for months but today we had the grand opening of a new Italian styled grocer. It is amazing.
We bought the best ham we've had in a long time from the deli. They slice it on demand and give you a piece to taste before finishing the slicing so you could try a couple if not sure. They have dips and beautiful European and Australian cheeses. They have fruit and veg and a limited stock of tinned and bottled tomatoes and the like as well as some very basic supermarket stuff but there is a Coles at the other end of the not very big centre. A doughnut shop. A coffee shop (of course). An Artisan bakery whatever that is. A pizza oven. They also have a large section with fresh cut and potted flowers and plants. I am sure I have missed something.
Naturally, today it was packed. The car park was worse than Christmas but we will go back when the excitement dies down. I had wondered how it would work with Coles, Bakers' Delight and a butcher in the same complex but I think it is different enough. It is a bit more expensive than Coles but offers better quality which will be enough for some people.
I said to Himself I am over buying cheap. I would rather buy less but better. Let us see if the penny pincher agrees. He initially balked at paying more for truss tomatoes than the floury "gourmet" ones but I said I wanted a tomato that tasted like a tomato or it wasn't worth having a tomato. And although the price per kilo difference is significant when you are only buying one or two it's not that bad.
We came home and had brunch with some really nice bacon from the new place, eggs, tomato (that tasted like tomato!) and a thick slice of toasted home made bread (mine, not theirs).
I then ran into a patch of extreme tiredness and slept for 3 hours. I woke thinking it was morning.
It has been wet and cold today. Himself got the rest of yesterday's delivery shovelled into the beds and tubs but it has been to miserable to plant anything. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the peas in.
What a shocker of a day it was. We were in Packingham taking Mother out for lunch and it just poured rain.
ReplyDeleteYou've reminded me of a car conversation Ex Sis in Law had with her then teenage children. Are Aunty Andrew and Uncle R gay? I think you really did get the easy option.
I rather wish your son had been more honest and say in some way that belief in God etc is all a fairy tale stuff, if not in so many words.
Ah, the shopping centre opposite the pub. I've been there. My brother lives in the street next to Lloyd Park and Ex Sis in Law lives in Lloyd Street. I wonder who Lloyd was.
Buying less and better sounds good to me, unless it is about alcohol.
I think Three did go down that path when he was explaining about different beliefs. I shall make sure she gets a proper education if she ever brings it up with me. I will be interested to see if your brother and ex SIL try the new grocer.
DeleteI agree with you- quality over quantity. Absolutely.
ReplyDeleteDon't children ask the good questions? Like Maggie asking me the other day where humans come from. I had to work out whether she meant in the procreation way or the evolutionary way.
And of course children are drawn to religion- as Andrew said, it's fairy stuff and what child doesn't want to learn magic which is what prayer sounds to be like.
Kids keep us on our toes, that's for sure. I went down the whole religion path when I was young. Fortunately I was also taught to think for myself and draw my own conclusions based on fact and common sense. I hope Sally will be the same.
Delete