Friday, 4 November 2022

Barf



We recently watched Inside Man on Netflix. Not the movie, the four episode Netflix series. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is one of those series that keeps you thinking long after it's over. It does have a bit of violence but not gratuitous and very much part of an excellent plot.

Last night I started watching Taboo. It is set in London during the days of the powerful East India Company and around the time of the War of Independence between England and America. I am enjoying it (knitting and sort of listening to it) and I was really impressed that for the first time the actors actually have bad teeth as they would have done in those days. Until there was a scene with lots of extras and they all had lovely straight white teeth! It's these little things that irritate me no end. Like bad grammar in a novel. I don't like being reminded I am reading a book or watching a movie. I like to immerse myself and get lost in the plot. If I remember a character because of who the actor was then the acting wasn't very good (looking at you, Tom Cruise).

Today was craft day. It was OK. Every day can't be perfect and the personality balance wasn't the best. And I found I had two extra stitches so I am in the process of tinking my socks back to where I gained them. If I have to go back to the end of the cuff I will just decrease but if I do it now it will be noticeable. And I have a yarn barf with this ball as well. Not my day.



I have found where I created the new stitches. I am going to drop them and see if I can fix it that way. Wish me luck. Or it could be looking for a one legged person in need of a sock.

Question: my elderly aunt has been sacked by her financial advisor for refusing to give him a copy of her Will and her enduring power of attorney (I hold POA). In your experience is this the norm? We have been asked if we have these documents but have never been asked to produce them. As it stands, she doesn't really need this advisor who was charging her AUD5,000 a year to basically do nothing. She has some shares and her house. When she dies the estate will be divided up by percentages (her step son gets the highest percentage, me next, my brothers next and so on). There are a couple of gifts but it's not a complicated will. The financial dude says he can't act on her behalf if he doesn't know what her Will dictates in case he does something that would go against her wishes. 

I smell dodgy but would be interested to hear your opinions.

12 comments:

  1. We have brokers here in the states but I can't find in our papers where we have ever been charged. The companies are charged, not us.
    I'm glad he "fired" her! Look for a broker that is also a Fiduciary!
    By law, they MUST look out for the interest of the client.
    Hope this helps...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they stopped that to a degree here to avoid kickbacks for suggestion particular companies. I stand to be corrected but we did have a royal commission into the finance industry and it did not come out smelling of roses.

      Delete
  2. Taboo sounds interesting but I am too poor to afford pay tv.
    My response without knowledge, research or much thinking, why would your aunt need a financial advisor? Surely her money is already invested and secure. Like she needs to increase her wealth?
    I gave thought to rich people and perhaps the need to know what it is in a will to best set the estate up for distribution but that is beyond the remit of a financial advisor. It is not their job.
    Never mind smelling dodgy. It is the work of a crook and she is well rid of, and I am sure I am right about this, him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late uncle set everything up when he knew he was dying.
      This was nearly 30 years ago and she hasn't changed or questioned anything since. She is now a very frail 91 and change sends her into panic.

      Delete
    2. And we don't pay for Netflix being poor old people ourselves. That's what children are for!

      Delete
    3. My sister offered us her Netflix, but we never followed it up. I read somewhere that Netflix is clamping down on this sharing.

      Delete
  3. My finanacial advisor has never asked for either, there's no need.

    I looked at trailers for the shows you mention, you like dark shows:) I have a couple of friends like you, the sweetest women who love dark stuff. I'm too dark already, so I prefer comedies and romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like light stuff, too, Pixie! I'm not all dark and mysterious.

      Delete
  4. I think the advisor was looking for ways to become her executor with the legal power to charge fees for the work. Profiting from her even after death. Best gone. I can't see what use an advisor is to someone with a relatively straightforward financial picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her will states that her stepson and I are her executors. Once she dies he has nothing to do with her estate. It is very weird.

      Delete
  5. Go with your gut feelings.
    And I’d get rid of the guy, saving thousands
    It’s been a lovely day today. The sun is still shining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see what happens on Monday.
      It's a glorious spring day. Finally!

      Delete