Sunday, 6 November 2022

I can see clearly now

Another glorious spring day.

I have worked on my bread bin - sanding and staining. It's not perfect but it is my first attempt. I will never use pine for something like this again as it is too soft but I was guided by someone who shall remain nameless and doesn't like spending money. At the end of the day this is my first ever project and I will use it with pride. I am a bit concerned that the stain I have used isn't appropriate for the job. It smells quite strongly. I was going to get something else but this was already at home so we didn't need to spend any more money. The hinges were $24. An attempt was made to change them out for something else. The more I think and write about this, the more I think I will make another one using the timber and stain of my choice!

Standing to do all that has killed my back. I am in a lot of pain. Stretching has helped a bit but I will remember to take some panadol before I got to the Shed tomorrow as I will be standing for another 3 hours there.

The aunt has accepted that being dumped by the financial dude is a good thing. She has a very good friend up there who is going to help her navigate the centrelink waters. 

In light of the clearing rain and my slowly improving mental health I will share with you the following. Not the most well-known cover but one of my favourites.


Have a great week.

10 comments:

  1. Creosote flavoured bread? A bread box was quite an ambitious project to start with. Good news about your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am nothing if not ambitious! Not quite creosote but that would add an interesting tang.

      Delete
  2. Love I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash...I remember blowing down the highway in my 1967 Oldsmobile singing along!Lolol
    Thanks for the memory.
    Sorry about your back though...Hope the pine wood doesn't make your bread smell like... pine...
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't thing I've heard a bad version. It is an excellent song to sing along to.

      Delete
  3. I think you should make another box using a lovely piece of timber of your choice. You can always repurpose the hinges. And use a food grade stain, or just a vegetable oil finish. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly my intention. I am just annoyed I have put all this effort in and it will be trashed.

      Delete
  4. Where's the photo! I am impressed whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it is very much a work in progress but I will take a photo.

      Delete
  5. Very impressed with your efforts in the Shed. As long as you enjoyed the work and learned some new skills, the time is not wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely learned some new skills and am having a ball.

      Delete