On Monday I knelt down on a hard concrete floor. When I got up there was a scrape shaped bruise sort of thing on me knee. Nothing big or scary or painful. Yesterday morning I woke up to this ...
The scratches are from where I pruned the roses yesterday (they never give up without a fight). The scar is from my knee replacement. The bruise is discolouring rapidly - today it's a deep purple with yellow highlights - so I have no idea what caused the damage or when it happened.
Tonight for dinner we are having chicken and vege bake with our own spuds and zucchinis. The spuds are interesting. A couple look completely different from the rest. I wonder if they were the original seed spuds.
My mother died 9 years ago last Thursday. My brothers and I placed death notices in a couple of papers including The Age - our Melbourne rag that prides itself on being for thinking people. It took two very long phone calls where every word had to spelled out (I was talking to people in the Philippines we think). They sent me the draft after the first phone call and it was wrong, wrong, wrong. I rang them back and finally got something we could agree on. My very quiet, non-confrontational brother wrote to them. This is his email and their reply. (It popped up in my facebook memories this morning). He then received an email saying the case had been resolved and asking for feedback!
Mother and I did not have a good relationship although we did get a bit closer in her final years. This would have made her laugh. I miss her - although I think what I really miss is the relationship we never had.


Sorry to hear you missed out on a warm relationship with your mother, and I expect you made sure to have a better one with your own children. I've noticed that in rl friends. They're also terrific grandparents.
ReplyDeleteI desperately wanted a daughter but am so glad now I had boys as I think I would have stuffed things up trying to do the right thing. As I believe was mother's problem in many ways. Her mother wasn't the kindest person.
DeleteMy relationship with my mother got worse and worse as the years went on. Although I am generally the queen of guilt I don't suffer that much in this experience. God knows I wanted a good relationship with my mother. Who doesn't? I completely understand your grieving for the relationship you always wanted but did not have.
ReplyDeleteI carried that guilt for a long time (trust me, mother was a great one for inducing guilt!) but now realise that she was the adult and she also had a crappy relationship with HER mother.
DeleteMy grandmother died in December one year - long time ago. The following December I received a Christmas card from the undertakers. Still wondering why they thought that was a good idea. As for unexplained bruises, I can only conclude it's age's little joke.
ReplyDeleteThat was a bit weird.
DeleteI have always been a bleeder/bruiser but you are right. Age is having fun with me.
I was lucky with my mum, she was a good mum, couldn't say the same about my dad sadly but he did try in his own way I can see now. I inherited my sense of humour from my mum.
ReplyDeleteMy mother was such a complicated person. I remember someone saying that she thought my mother was a wonderful person but she was glad she wasn't her mother.
DeleteIt doesn't take much to bruise at a certain age. I like your brother's email. What a terrible outsourcing business decision by The Age. I wonder if anyone now posts death notices in The Age now.
ReplyDeleteI fear I will be one of those old women with multicoloured paper thin skin. Oh well, better than being dead, I suppose.
DeleteI think people post their death notices on Facebook and TikTok.
I’m so sorry for your loss. No matter the relationship losing a parent is kinda strange. You’ve never known a world without them.
ReplyDeleteAre you on any medication that can make you bruise this badly.
I think you need to sit and rest with some yarn, let others take care of you.
No medication, Angela, but always been a bleeder. I like the idea of sitting with yarn.
Delete