Friday, 18 November 2022

Religion and other sorcery

So I have been watching the White Queen and being set in the 1400s religion plays a big role.

Yet another reason I am a non-believer. Everyone prayed that their enemies would be defeated/die a horrible death and they would reign as victor. Everyone. Praying to the same god. I think it is safe to say god had nothing to do with it but the stronger army won (or the most underhanded - whatever).

The queen and her mother were decried as witches and a sorcerer was brought in to weave a more powerful spell. Why were they witches? A storm developed which ended up in the death of someone's son and heir which meant the king and queen had one less opponent (or something along those lines - I was knitting socks at the same time) so obviously they must have cast a spell.

It is very easy to look back down the centuries and laugh at such silly beliefs until one thinks about today and QAnon and conspiracy theorists and extreme religious nutters and realise that, sadly, nothing has changed. Except we no longer drown witches.

A glorious day today. The weekend has more storms forecast but today reminded us that we do live in a sunburnt country. 

I caught up with J and C at the yarn shop and we spent a very pleasant couple of hours choosing yarn for our colourwork projects which we will start next year; probably around March as the yarn has to be ordered.

These are my colours. The top one is what I will do the colour work in and bottom will be the main body. 







And this is the pattern I will be using.


Now I just have to hope for a very cold winter! The others will be using sock or fingering weight yarn. I am using DK which is twice as thick but the pattern the others are using doesn't do fat.

One and his lot are at a wedding this weekend so we have fed their dogs. Does anyone else find it strange going into someone's home when they aren't there? Even family?

17 comments:

  1. That is such a good analogy of old beliefs and current beliefs. There is a difference now though as people are educated and there is no excuse or logic for the nonsense we see now.

    It was a lovely day today. I caught the number 1 tram to South Melbourne beach and watched bare topped volley ball players. Not the female players I hasten to add.

    Two hours in a yarn shop! I am feeling bored ever typing this.

    It doesn't worry me when going to an empty relative's house, but it does feel a bit strange for them not to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can still find the "evidence" to support their misguided beliefs. Your beach volley ballers sound most entertaining. Almost as much fun as my yarn shop.

      Delete
  2. I love the colours. I think the jumper will be awesome.
    When my daughter was away we were asked to water her fledgling garden and put out/bring in bins.
    That was kinda weird enough. Usually if we baby sit the family pooch they stay at our house
    We did have a lovely day today. Too bad it isn’t going to last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the shift in energy when the family isn't in their house. The jumper is a few months away but I am looking forward to learning a new skill.

      Delete
  3. Stocking up for March? That's some long term planning. For twelve years I had a pet care business which consisted of going to homes in the owner's absence to take care of their animals. To me it was odder to see them at home than not to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn has to be ordered and we live in Australia so everything automatically takes longer. Stir Christmas in the mix and that is how long it will take.
      I think going into a house where you don't know the people would be a lot different.

      Delete
    2. I knew all the people. They were my clients. We talked all the time. They mostly became friends.

      Delete
  4. Now to me- being able to knit something like that sweater is akin to sorcery. I promise though that I would never call you out as a witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be our secret. I promise not to cast an evil spell!

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful pattern and beautiful wool as well.

    I rememberr reading a book once, can't remember which one, and a priest had a gash on his leg but he wouldn't let the woman look at it, she told him that it would get infected and of course it did. He came back with the villagers and she was accused of witchcraft. I think it was one of the Outlander series. But you can see how easily thinks get distorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Add misogyny into the mix and things get really interesting!

      Delete
  6. Today, God seems to have been replaced by other cults, favourite amongst the intelligentsia at present appears to be Net Zero and the myth of the destruction to be wrought by the evil god CO2. Somehow this all seems to parallel myths from these older God-based religions, and with about as much relevance to real life as they had

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite a pattern to use for a first attempt. The result all hinges on reading the pattern and getting the counting right. Might be an idea few swatches in the mean time to get used to holding the two strands ( if you haven’t done this before). It’ll look good once you’ve finished it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our knitting guru at our favourite yarn shop said the busier the pattern the better for beginning with as you don't have long floats to manage. She will be guiding us when we start. A swatch is a good idea much as I hate them.

      Delete
  8. We watched "The Wonder" on Netflix the other night - another great example of religion gone crazy. I really enjoyed the movie but it's dark and moody and set in the 1800s so not everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. I'll look for that one. I finished the White Queen last night. Need to find something else.

      Delete