Saturday, 29 April 2023

A day off

I decided we both (particularly Himself) needed a day off from hard physical work. We wanted to have another look a the display so we had a bit of a day trip.


These two photos are literally side by side. The dark storm clouds breaking to bright sunshine.


 
Himself seems to be incapable of following street signs and wasn't much better with the GPS in my car (he was driving) so we got a bit lost a couple of times which was OK as we got to see parts of the city we normally wouldn't. And to be fair things have changed a lot around there with all the road works so I wasn't too crabby.

How cool is this building? And yes it does look wobbly.


This is a wall of a building in the city and all those plants are real.



We finally got over to the other side of town (there are no displays of our model on this side) and had a quick loo break and lunch at Macca's. 

Then off to the house. It turns out that our particular design is not popular in the city as blocks of land are so expensive and our house is too big. Says a lot for Melbourne land sizes. Even far outer Melbourne housing estates have blocks the size of pocket handkerchiefs. We probably spent 20 minutes there measuring and comparing our house (Santorini 28MK2) with the display (Santorini 33) - so same basic design but the display is 33 squares and our is 28, although with our modifications it will come in a bit bigger than that. (If you want to click on the links to see the differences just click on Regional Victoria and it will take you to the floorplan on each link - I hope)

After finding out that the display is closing in under a week we were glad we made the trip as I don't know if there is another one within easy driving. Now we have to wait to see our actual house and that could easily be 12 months away. The previous times we have built it didn't take this long to get from sign up to contract to build. There are so many hoops builders have to jump through and forms to submit and councils to bribe. Sorry, not the last one ... that I know of.

More clouds on the way home. This was coming back over the Westgate Bridge with Port Phillip Bay in the background. A glorious day.



Some more weird interesting buildings.





We came home along the beach. this is Port Melbourne. A very trendy, very expensive suburb that used to be working class - like all our inner suburbs. I think the original inhabitants would turn in their graves if they knew what their working class cottages are selling for these days.


Home after a 5 hour round trip, most of which was driving.

Tomorrow Himself will start to take up the carpet. I must find a mask for him or his allergies will blow up terribly. Not sure what I will do. If the weather permits I will work outside, otherwise I'll pack more stuff away.

18 comments:

  1. I’m glad you had a day off. Tell hubby to take some antihistamine tablets before he starts
    I love Melbourne I think it’s a beautiful city Especially when the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly changed a lot over the decades.

      Delete
  2. Why did they name the house plan after a unique island in the Aegean Sea, Greece? I have visited Santorini and your house looks nothing like the island or its typical houses. Instead, the design owes a lot to bungalows in the foothills of The Himalayas so I suggest renaming the basic design the Kanchenjunga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr Pud. I shall let the builder know.

      Delete
  3. Never been Down Under but I've heard it's wonderful!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those buildings are interesting, especially the one that looks as if it's going to fold down on itself into a neat pile.
    So your idea of a restful day off is a driving marathon! Which you seem to have really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Boud- for a day off, you were mighty busy. It must have been pretty cool to see the actual layout of the house.
    What architecture in the downtown buildings! One of them reminds me of argyle socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had some interesting architectural offerings over the years. At least we have gone away from the glass and concrete monstrosities of the 70s and 80s. Sadly, to erect those, they tore down some of Melbourne's beautiful original buildings from the 1800s.

      Delete
  6. What brilliant photos. Wonderful buildings, roads and that blue sky with clouds. Lovely. I too, naturally enough was wondering what similarities your new house has with those on Santorini. You're chosing a white house with blue shutters lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will have white shutters and a blue roof. Does that count? There is a brick called Santorini, too. I wonder if someone is trying to appeal to the large Greek population we have here. at one time Melbourne allegedly had the largest population of Greeks in a city outside of Athens.

      Delete
  7. All looks good, I had to laugh at the last post about your platters and being an antisocial couple, sounds like us, lots of platters, glasses and stuff.....Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep buying places because they will be great for entertaining and we buy all the stuff to entertain and then remember that we don't have many friends and avoid people at all costs.

      Delete
  8. The house looks lovely, if I looked at the right one:)

    You two have a lot more energy that I do though, to go through a new build. Mind you, we're in the middle of cutting down and burning two trees, so maybe I would have the energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long held dream come true. I think we will both collapse after it's all done and dusted!

      Delete
  9. We had those same clouds last Thursday, heavy and flat bottomed, barely moving. I like the 28MK2 better than the 33, a nicer layout with an outdoor area to barbecue in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree River - the 28 flows much better.
      Those clouds were amazing. Lots of rain here but where we were (on the west side of Melbourne) it was sunny and almost warm.

      Delete